Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift kit

i actually have two questions 1. i heard that u shouldnt flush the tranny fluid for some reason becasue the tranny will break soon after ....i dont know about this any help would be appreciated ...i have 72,000 mile do u think i should drain it ? 2. are shift kits worth it i plan on doin a stall with in a couple months but i read about one and it says can hold 1st 2nd and 3rd gear at any rpms..... http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp...d=377&catid=58 if this is true or not so i was just askin opions on shift kits
Old 03-14-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a properly installed shift kit will do a lot of things for your transmission. i think a shift kit is a worthwhile install for an automatic transmission regardless of the converter's stall speed. in a nutshell, (good) shift kits will move a lot more trans fluid through the trans - and firm up the shifts, ultimately leading to longer trans/clutch life. however, should you choose to abuse the shift kit, it will prematurely wear and possibly break the weakass stock internals of the transmission.

the part about flushing the transmission - seems to me that if you are trying to correct a problem by flushing it, you will create a larger problem. however, if you are simply maintaining a perfectly functioning transmission - it's one of the best things you can do. my car had 45k on it when i got it - i flushed the trans fluid, added a transgo "full race/high stall (3 washers)" shift kit, b&m deep pan, and 4k stall - drove the ever loving hell out of it for 20k miles, then sold it shifting as good as the day i got it. i changed the fluid twice within that 20k of abuse - once for the converter, and once to repair my broken tailcone...it worked perfectly.