Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help please arrgh

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please arrgh

we put a cam in my 2000 TA and it ran good and put the numbers down on the dyno we were expectin but after about 50 miles or so it developed a ticking noise that sounded like an exhaust leak but it kept getting louder and louder so i pulled the valve covers and made sure the rockers were properly tightend, started it up and it made the same noise so i pulled the pushrods and they were all fine but i went ahead and replaced the pushrods and same thing so now i've pulled my heads and pulled the lifters and they were all fine but im replacing them anyways. so all in all it has new springs, retainers,pushrods,all rockers are good, and new lifters. Im gonna pull the cam tommorow and check the cam...can anyone think of somthing else it could be. any advice would be helpful cause im really lost here

Thanks
Eric
Old 03-14-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

If none of the lifters had nicks or wear on the roller then the cam is fine and I wouldnt bother pulling it.

I just worked on a 5.0 stang that had a nasty ticking, we pulled the lifters and one had a nicked up roller so we pulled the cam and sure enough that lobe was nicked up too. We replaced the cam, lifters, pushrods, and installed roller rockers and it doesnt make a sound anymore, well except for the new lopey cam sound.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

Is it ticking all the time or only at idle? If its at idle it could be the lifter collapsing. When you selected the push rods did you check the correct lenght for the preload on the lifters? Also just to let you know, after my cam install I have a very light ticking that came after the install of the much bigger Crane roller lifters that just came out (see Crane web site). I asked others on here and more than a few people have said that after a cam install and changing lifters and such their valvetrain has become noisier.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

the pushrods are the right size...i called lingenfelter since it is there cam and they told me to us the hardened 7.400. no, its quieter at idle but once you get going it gets louder and louder the rollers looked like they had some wear but they also have 80,000 miles on them
Old 03-15-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 408 z28
the pushrods are the right size...i called lingenfelter since it is there cam and they told me to us the hardened 7.400. no, its quieter at idle but once you get going it gets louder and louder the rollers looked like they had some wear but they also have 80,000 miles on them
Some folks say it's a myth, but I've always heard that some valvetrain noise is simply normal when switching to an aftermarket cam.

The theory is that more aggressive cam lobes naturally lead to more "ticking" if you will.

Myself, I'm undecided. I do know that mine is louder than stock and that my pushrods are the correct length and my lifters are in good shape.

Hard to say...
Old 03-15-2007, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

yea I've heard the rumor too but the thing is it didn't make the noise for the first 50 miles after the install or on the dyno while it was being tuned im gonna slap it back together with the new lifters tommorow and fire it and see what happens ...