Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open headers for long periods...

Old 03-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open headers for long periods...

Is it bad for your engine? I'm patiently waiting to get my TSP TD set up in and i absolutely HATE my freaking exhaust. I just installed an MS4 cam and I really only drive my car to and from work. About 10 miles total daily.

I'm wondering if i should just go ahead and whack the **** exhaust off until i get my duals in. Hopefully it will be w/in the next week or so.

what do you guys think?
Old 03-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Shouldn't hurt. I had to wait a week for my exhaust. I drove around with just a ory pipe and had nothing but a O2 sensor code.

For weeks at a time I ride with the cut out open and haven't had any problems with that either.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you can handle the noise, then go for it. You run a slight chance of messing up a front o2, but if your only doing 10ish miles a day for a week, i think you will be fine. Your neighbors will freaking hate you, but you wont do any serious damage.(well maybe to your eardrums).
Old 03-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Launching!

Well i just got off the phone with TSP and they said it would be at least another 2 weeks before they shipped my exhaust. Fine by me. as I said, i really only drive it to and from work.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blk97WS6
if you can handle the noise, then go for it. You run a slight chance of messing up a front o2, but if your only doing 10ish miles a day for a week, i think you will be fine. Your neighbors will freaking hate you, but you wont do any serious damage.(well maybe to your eardrums).
I just bought 4 new 02's a few weeks ago. I guess if the front ones go out, i can use the other 2.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:05 PM
10 Second Club

Make up two 16" extensions for the collectors and you'll be ready to go. If you don't the car will run like ****. Enjoy the sound, my neighbors love when I fire my car up on Sundays at 6am.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Make up two 16" extensions for the collectors and you'll be ready to go. If you don't the car will run like ****. Enjoy the sound, my neighbors love when I fire my car up on Sundays at 6am.
Yeah that would help out alot. Is the car even tuned yet? Glad to see you got the cam done.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Launching!

No man, I havnt even started it yet. Doing that once I get hom and put the pulley on and radiator back in. I just dont want the exhaust on there anymore because it sounds liike ****!

So can u use pieces of my y-pipe for the extensions? Why would an open extension make a diff?
Old 03-15-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tuffass
No man, I havnt even started it yet. Doing that once I get hom and put the pulley on and radiator back in. I just dont want the exhaust on there anymore because it sounds liike ****!

So can u use pieces of my y-pipe for the extensions? Why would an open extension make a diff?
Bet you cant wait to get home Extending the headers a little bit will help to creat more backpressure. and yes you can make extensions using the old y-pipe, as long as its the same diameter.if not just run to a home depot or something.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

I'm currently using the peices of my y pipe that weren't crushed by the biggest freaking hill in all of the carolinas as my header extensions. I have a TSP ORY and I took off the part where the two 3 inch pipes come into a single 3 inch pipe and turned the extensions 180* on the collector. I call it mullet side pipes.
AJ
Old 03-15-2007, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRed99Z28
I'm currently using the peices of my y pipe that weren't crushed by the biggest freaking hill in all of the carolinas as my header extensions. I have a TSP ORY and I took off the part where the two 3 inch pipes come into a single 3 inch pipe and turned the extensions 180* on the collector. I call it mullet side pipes.
AJ
------new smilie!

Any pics of that set-up.

Search this Thread