General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car runs rough when warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car runs rough when warmed up

Alright, so I don't think I described my problem correctly at all so I'm starting a new thread. Car starts up cold, runs fine. After about 3 minutes, I lose all power, car hesitates like crazy if I'm not at WOT (like 3 second lag after hitting the gas pedal), idles around 600 rpm, and nearly stalls from a stop (I have to burn the clutch to keep it from stalling). Mileage has been in the single digits. Also, car reaks of unburnt gas out the exhaust when this is occurring. Checked my O2 sensors and wires, swapped out the IAC, tightened all my exhaust clamps, etc. I checked all the plug wires I could actually see, none of them look burnt. Car only has 43k. I'm thinking of getting it tuned since I never did, does anyone think that a tune might possibly correct something like this? I didn't start having these problems until recently. I got a lean fuel trim code the other day, as well as the standard front and rear O2 codes I've been getting for the past 7k while the car ran great. Front O2 sensors are the 13111 Bosch which have been in there for about 4k. Running the stock delco plugs which I put in 7k ago. Any ideas?
Old 03-15-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of plugs? Ever replaced? Is one loose? Checked the ones you could SEE? check 'em all, the one I COULDNT see was my problem. I don't think it should run THAT crappy without a tune, tho it will help, but personally I think you're problem lies elsewhere besides tune related. Maybe I'm wrong, and if someone that has had this could chime in and let me know I'd appreciate it... The thing that doesn't make sense to me that is that it's fine when cold, but **** when warm... hmmm

-J
Old 03-16-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Untuned wont be the problem, plus you only have headers, not like you have cam, heads etc.. Check each cylinder, make sure each is firing. Double check all plugs and wires too. Sounds like a Ignition problem to me.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Alright, fixed it...turned out to be a bad O2 on the passenger side. I heard of these cars going through O2s quick, but dang, that thing hasn't even been in there for 10k. So now my question is, would these things last longer if I got the car tuned?
Old 03-17-2007, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Congrats on finding your problem! How did you find out it was the passenger side O2? Did you get any error codes since you started troubleshooting?
Old 03-17-2007, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I got a code P0174, lean fuel trim bank 2...all the signs pointed to an O2 sensor as well (fine when dead cold, bad as soon as it switches loops, abysmal mileage). Other than that, I just got the standard header-related O2 codes that I've always had, P0152 and P0154 (insufficient switching if I remember correctly). Popped the factory O2 sensor back in that I had unnecessarily replaced the first time, and now it's fine. And damn is it nice to have a car that runs right again! Especially when it was a free fix...now I'm just trying to figure out how to keep my car from eating O2s...

Quick Reply: car runs rough when warmed up