Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

*HELP* Probs w/ 402 LS2/L92/L76 swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default *HELP* Probs w/ 402 LS2/L92/L76 swap

Hey there,

I just got off the phone with my builder and he has hit a couple walls in the motor swap. If you can help, it'd be appreciated.

1. He says that the valve covers will not swap over to the LS2 w/ the L92s from my 1998 LS1. He said he thinks we'll need to change valve covers, and maybe even coil pacls and coil pack assembly. I told him I hadn't ever heard of that change over being an issue in the swap, but that I would check anyways. During the conversation, he kept referring to the heads as L76 heads. He had been talking to a couple local builders and that is what he said they were referring to them to as well. He seemed to think that they came off of a early 2000-ish Corvette. I explained that the LS2 block was in the vettes, but that the heads are coded L92s while the intake is coded L76. I don't know if that could have thrown him off, or if people have been referring to the L92 heads as L76 heads since they match up with the intake. But the fact that he thought they came on a vette through me for a loop.

2. He also wanted to know if we can leave the windage (spelling?) tray off and run the factory oil pan and oil pump sump. One of the guys at the shop told him he didn't think that it would work with the larger crank. He told me he thought it would work, but wanted me to check before he got it all together.

3.Now, my crankshaft has a 24x tooth. I currently have a black crank position sensor. Is this the correct one? He told me he knew there was a grey crank position sensor used sometimes as well as a crankshaft that had a 58x tooth (again, I believe this is the correct number he stated, if not, it was close). He wanted to know if he needed the black crank position sensor or the grey crank position sensor for a 24x tooth'd crank.

4. Now, the last problem. The knock sensor wire. The one that I have connects with a little clip that you use a screwdrive to pop open. The one they sent me is one that you connect by squeezing both sides to open it up. Did they send the wrong one or do we just cut and splice these together?

Any help is appreciated, I've already made him cancel one cruise due to the time it's taken for everything to ship out, and his next one is fast approaching. Thanks a ton guys,
Mitchell
Old 03-15-2007, 07:12 PM
FormerVendor

Please dont take this the wrong way, but if you are paying someone your hard earned money to build you an engine and he doesnt know the answers to the questions above.... I would take my parts and go elsewhere...
Old 03-15-2007, 07:15 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
Hey there,

I just got off the phone with my builder and he has hit a couple walls in the motor swap. If you can help, it'd be appreciated.

1. He says that the valve covers will not swap over to the LS2 w/ the L92s from my 1998 LS1. He said he thinks we'll need to change valve covers, and maybe even coil pacls and coil pack assembly. I told him I hadn't ever heard of that change over being an issue in the swap, but that I would check anyways. During the conversation, he kept referring to the heads as L76 heads. He had been talking to a couple local builders and that is what he said they were referring to them to as well. He seemed to think that they came off of a early 2000-ish Corvette. I explained that the LS2 block was in the vettes, but that the heads are coded L92s while the intake is coded L76. I don't know if that could have thrown him off, or if people have been referring to the L92 heads as L76 heads since they match up with the intake. But the fact that he thought they came on a vette through me for a loop. 98 valve covers are perimeter bolt style.. All newer combinations have center bolt valve covers. You will need new covers/coil brackets.. Everything else will work the same.

2. He also wanted to know if we can leave the windage (spelling?) tray off and run the factory oil pan and oil pump sump. One of the guys at the shop told him he didn't think that it would work with the larger crank. He told me he thought it would work, but wanted me to check before he got it all together. You need to space the windage tray to clear the crankshaft. This is VERY common with 4" cranks...

3.Now, my crankshaft has a 24x tooth. I currently have a black crank position sensor. Is this the correct one? He told me he knew there was a grey crank position sensor used sometimes as well as a crankshaft that had a 58x tooth (again, I believe this is the correct number he stated, if not, it was close). He wanted to know if he needed the black crank position sensor or the grey crank position sensor for a 24x tooth'd crank. Your crank should be set up for an F Body.. hence your stock sensor should work just fine

4. Now, the last problem. The knock sensor wire. The one that I have connects with a little clip that you use a screwdrive to pop open. The one they sent me is one that you connect by squeezing both sides to open it up. Did they send the wrong one or do we just cut and splice these together?We usually tap the side of the block to install the sensors in the LS2... You will need the Katech Adapter Harness for the knock and cam sensors

Any help is appreciated, I've already made him cancel one cruise due to the time it's taken for everything to ship out, and his next one is fast approaching. Thanks a ton guys,

Hope this helps a bit....Best of luck!!!!
Mitchell
Old 03-15-2007, 07:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I AGREE.... This builder sounds like he genuinly doesnt have a clue as to what he is working with..
Old 03-15-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

yes, time to find someone that knows what they are doing.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance
Please dont take this the wrong way, but if you are paying someone your hard earned money to build you an engine and he doesnt know the answers to the questions above.... I would take my parts and go elsewhere...
I agree. These are some VERY basic issues that an experienced builder should either know about or be able to handle. The valve cover thing is something that anyone who has touched the LS series engine should know about. The early heads used perimeter bolt valve covers. The later LS1, LS2, L92's use center bolt. I have a set of center bolt covers if you need them.

The other questions are also elementary to an experienced builder. I'd be concerned.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Ron saved me some typing.
But to add. The L92 acturally has a completly different vlave cover. If you have to buy one buy the L92's. You can make the 99+ F body/Vette ones work with minor modafication.
Coil packs are fine and I cant imagin why he would question those. The basic do it yourself guys know that coil packs are interchangeable, and will work with damn near any setup.
I cant think of any reason why he would even question the coil packs.
Good luck with your build.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default L92 vs L76

To answer your question about the heads, they are the cylinder heads for the 370" L92 motor. The intake is referred to as the "L76" because it came off the L76 engine in the Australian Holden.

Good Luck!

Bob K.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:26 PM
10 Second Club

If you are using the L92 rockers you will need to cut out the baffles inside the valve covers or they will not go on. You bests option would be to get some higher valve covers from Katech or Nasty performance. And I also agree this guy should not be building this thing or installing IMO.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:45 PM
Launching!

You will need windage tray spacers. Most of the vendors that sell the 402/408's will carry the spacers. Windage tray is required.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Launching!

You will also need to replace the front cover with an LS2 front cover and you will need an LS2 (will work on LS1 but not vice versa) timing chain as your old one wont work. The cam sensor moves to the front on the LS2 and the harness will either need to be extended (wiring criss-crosses) or an extension can be purchased thru SDPC.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

So I can keep th efactory oil pan and oil pump sump, I just need a windage tray spacer, right?

Crank position sensor is fine.

Knock sensor w/ adapter harness, have the harness so we're set.

Valve covers-he's got some coming in tomorrow actually. So the coil pack assembly will go on the L92 valve covers w/ out a problem?

That is all for right now. And as for all his questions, he doesn't build LSx series motors. They were a motor rebuild shop I used on my last car and they had good service so I brought it to them when this motor went. I told them what I wanted to do, they said they've never done it, but would give it a try. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know if I have any other questions-LS1tech rocks!
Old 03-15-2007, 09:16 PM
FormerVendor

Windage tray spacers usually look just like 2-3 washers per stud.
The later LS6/2 pass side valve covers have a baffle like the driver's side and clear fine.

Quick Reply: *HELP* Probs w/ 402 LS2/L92/L76 swap