Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Looking for the final say on a Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for the final say on a Procharger

I am very close to putting a P1SC on my T/A and there seems to be a lot of differing opinions on what this kit is and what it does/doesnt do. I have a few major concerns and am looking for the right answers.
1. The blower rattle some talk about and the SDCE kit to repair it. Is the rattle something that is inevitable, or is it all based on proper install. How much modification or fabrication is needed for the SDCE and if I was looking to do that at a later time is it a total removal of the kit to install it.
2. The kit comes with a tune, is it good? Will it allow me to install and run and have little worry about doing some serious damage. I am not looking to build a monster, just a nice street car that has something most dont. I assume that ATI sends out this kit built on the safe side, and that is what I want.
3. What are my major worries about installing this kit. Dont call me a pansy but I want to keep this car together. Its a low mileage still in the wrappers WS6 and I would like to have it for awhile without having to tear it apart.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide
Old 03-15-2007, 07:54 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its going to rattle at idle, just part of the deal. SDCE will stop the rattle, you will have to send them your bracket to get modified. I had 2 cars with a P1SC and stock 6 rib and except for wearing down a couple idler pulleys I never had any issues. But if the noise bothers you you can do the SDCE down the road but you will need to send your bracket so you wont be driving it.

Cool thing about the ATI kit is you have to drill four holes under the car, rewire the cooling fans and thats it for modifying the car. If you can can change the oil and spark plugs you can pretty much install one in a day. If you are just looking for a mild setup you will need a bigger fuel pump, some ATI kits came with an inline boost pump that worked well for me. You can also remove the whole mess in a few hours and if you keep all your stock parts organized its no problem putting the car back 100% stock, you are only left with a few holes under the car thatwont affect anything.

As far as the tune if you use the injectors and pulley the tune is made for it should be plenty safe but it should be checked on a dyno and tuned if you want the most out of it.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Spend the $$ and get the 8rib upgrade from the beggining.It's alot cheaper but you do have to but an ATI pulley.
I would also suggest the P1-2 blower too.(no $$ difference)
Old 03-15-2007, 11:55 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by BluePoncho
I am very close to putting a P1SC on my T/A and there seems to be a lot of differing opinions on what this kit is and what it does/doesnt do. I have a few major concerns and am looking for the right answers.
1. The blower rattle some talk about and the SDCE kit to repair it. Is the rattle something that is inevitable, or is it all based on proper install. How much modification or fabrication is needed for the SDCE and if I was looking to do that at a later time is it a total removal of the kit to install it.
2. The kit comes with a tune, is it good? Will it allow me to install and run and have little worry about doing some serious damage. I am not looking to build a monster, just a nice street car that has something most dont. I assume that ATI sends out this kit built on the safe side, and that is what I want.
3. What are my major worries about installing this kit. Dont call me a pansy but I want to keep this car together. Its a low mileage still in the wrappers WS6 and I would like to have it for awhile without having to tear it apart.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide

Why not get a turbo = free hp on a stock short block, more net hp. The price of some of these new kits are unreal!
Old 03-16-2007, 01:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

D1-SC and a SDCE 8 rib set up and you will be happy for a long long time.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:10 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Check out my complete ATI ProCharger D-1SC package price.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=798
This package includes the larger 4.5" thick intercoolers that ATI includes in this pn# 1GJ204-SCI kit. Bob
Old 03-16-2007, 05:23 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What is it about the SDCE that stops the rattle?
Old 03-16-2007, 06:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Rattles Sound

Sorry about my ignorance but what SDCE means?
Old 03-16-2007, 07:32 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

SDCE is the name of the company that modifys the tensioner. The company is
SD Concepts.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SRZ
It uses a spring loaded tensioner that acts like a shock absorber during idle.

Briefly blower rattle is caused by the crankshaft changing speed between cylinder firings at an idle. The speed change unloads the blower transmission and makes the noise. From about 1000 rpm up there is no rattle. It is also heavily dependant on the weight of the flywheel or type of transmission and rotating assembly.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SRZ
From what I understand, the tensioner follows the movements of the belt as you rev and let off, and takes up the slack and always keeps the pulleys under tension, especially when you let off its pretty critical. The belt is flex able, you would probably be surprised to see a video of how much flex/movement there really is during an actual dyno run on a stock setup. The stock 8 rib is noisy but effective to quite a lot of boost especially with a larger crank pulley, but if the noise bothers you that much, you can fix it.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've got the 8-rib d1sc with the ati race ready bypass valve (custom tune). I don't hear a rattel. The cam and the a/c don't like eachother at idle. I've sucked up water before... They make a filter "sock" for them but I have since retired it as my dd. Other than the tires, clutches, etc... wearing out a lil' (or alot) faster, it's a blast to drive. Bob can get you fixed up properly.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SDCE took care of my rattles and gave me 11 psi of boost.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

I don't notice this rattle you speak of. I just notice that high pitched bearing type sound normal on supercharged cars.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:54 PM
10 Second Club

how much is the SDCE?
Old 03-16-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickys S/C Z28
how much is the SDCE?
I paid something like 795.00 for the 8 rib set up. Well worth it.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:38 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by BOONE
From what I understand, the tensioner follows the movements of the belt as you rev and let off, and takes up the slack and always keeps the pulleys under tension, especially when you let off its pretty critical. The belt is flex able, you would probably be surprised to see a video of how much flex/movement there really is during an actual dyno run on a stock setup. The stock 8 rib is noisy but effective to quite a lot of boost especially with a larger crank pulley, but if the noise bothers you that much, you can fix it.
That is what I tell people, try if without the added cost involved first. I don't hear a lot of noise on many of our installs, but every now and then one is louder than normal. Bob
Old 03-21-2007, 10:47 AM
SKI
11 Second Club

Mine rattles a little,no big deal.You will love it,and very easy to install.

Quick Reply: Looking for the final say on a Procharger