General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery drained + me stupid = hell 4 me

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery drained + me stupid = hell 4 me

Well I had my car stored over winter in my garage I started it up a few times but this time I didnt want to start up.

It made the click click click noises, obviously showing there is not enough power in the battery. So stupid me not thinking I take the battery charger hook it up, and try to start the car. Remeber this is a charger not booster. So then I try to start up and the car just shut off. It clicked once, sort of a different click. The car was only able to get the gauges on and everything with the key in the "run" position. So I charged the battery overnight came back today tried starting her up. And now the guages wont even turn on. Just the led on the dash blinks like crazy.

Im thinking ive blown a fuse and have a dead battery somehow? What fuse do you think I have blown that will make it so I can't even start up?

grrr all of this right before she is suppose to be back on the road.

EDIT: Just checked battery with test light. Battery is dead now I just gotta figure why it wont start up..

Last edited by blackops22; 03-15-2007 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Battery is fucked put in a new one and all will be fine/ It probably has a shorted cell and no amount of charging jumping etc will get the car to start.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bad battery will not allow the car to start, but I would clean the terminals thoroughly first. When you charged it was it with the cables connected or off?
Old 03-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar situation with my other car, where the battery died, and it wouldn't take or hold a charge. That battery was about 5 years old, but when I charged it a couple of hours after it died, it would not start the car. If it hasn't been mentioned yet, see whether you can hook a voltmeter to the battery to see if its holding or taking a charge. If it isn't, then its toast. Now in the case of this car, when I removed that battery, I discovered that the battery terminal had actually separated from the battery (my guess was that the terminal had corroded and in wrenching the battery cable off it separated). That battery was finished, however.

In the case of my camaro; It was stored and I would only start it about every two weeks or so. The battery in that car was so-so, and I had a bigger than normal drain on it (from my aftermarket alarm and subwoofer). In January this year, when the weather got really cold, that battery took a dump as well. It would take a charge, but since it was well abused, it would not hold its charge any longer than a week. It started the car after a jump, but it wouldn't hold the charge so that battery was finished as well.

I am using a battery tender for the camaro now, so that I can avoid draining the battery while its stored. Its just a measure of safety for me since the winter tends to be hard on my car's battery. As long as you can avoid draining the battery (once you resolve the issue) you should be able to get good duration from it. Good luck.