Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with head swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with head swap

I'm on the home strech in my head swap. Have one thing I need help with. I did a pretty good job of marking and bagging all of the bolts and misc parts so I wouldn't forget where they go back (this is my first head swap). It is going really well. My question is the position of the four bolts on the coolant crossover pipe. There are 2 with regular heads and 2 that allow you to add a nut to the top of them once they are tight (don't know what these bolts are called). What position do these go in relation to the 4 bolt holes on the heads? Also one of them has a clamp or some type of hanger. What position does that one go?

Actually have one more question. There is a small rubber hose near the back of the engine bay near where the back of the intake is. Probably 1/4" or smaller. May be some type of vaccum hose. I know I disconnected it from somewhere but cannot find where it plugs back in for the life of me. Any ideas??
Old 03-16-2007, 12:57 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The coolant bolts -- the ones that you can put nuts on the top go in front with the one with the hanger on the left as you face the motor.

The hose might connect to the valve cover or the back of the intake. Hard to tell by your description but there arent to many hoses involved
Old 03-16-2007, 04:41 AM
Teching In

If you are talking about the little black hose on the passenger side at the firewall, it goes on the intake.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Plugs with regular bolts go in back...bolts with studs on top go in front.

Cable on PCV attaches to the one on the passenger side.

If I recall, there are only three hoses on the back of the intake. Two of which are probably 1/8" in diameter and are vacuum related. The attached to the back with a "T" fitting. The third is the brake booster and is much larger obviously.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

The tiny vaccum hoses on the back go to the AC door control vacuum line near the PCM and another goes to the AIR solenoid that is on the rear drivers side of the manifold next to a fuel injector.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. I love this site.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brad8266
The tiny vaccum hoses on the back go to the AC door control vacuum line near the PCM and another goes to the AIR solenoid that is on the rear drivers side of the manifold next to a fuel injector.
Re: the AIR solenoid...if I pulled the AIR pump and all that crap, can't I just unhook that thing and toss it?

I figured I could, but haven't....last time around I was in a hurry to get the car together and just left it on there. Didn't want to create any unnecessary vacuum leak issues either.

My only concern was that it was still plugged up to the ECU harness...but if I don't need it, it's going in the trash.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Banned

!air, there is a sticky on it I think and if not installuniversity shows you the details of how to do it. Most likely that hose was to the back of the intake.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
!air, there is a sticky on it I think and if not installuniversity shows you the details of how to do it. Most likely that hose was to the back of the intake.
Cool man, I'll check that out...

You'd think after all I've done to my car I would have taken care of that by now...guess I overlooked it...haha
Old 03-16-2007, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

The small hose conneced to the passenger side valve cover. I'm getting ready to reinstall my valve covers. I used my existing hardened pushrods and had the stock rockers reworked. I have read some threads about soaking the rockers over night in motor oil (which I didn't do). Since I already have them installed should I lubricate them in any way before putting the valve covers back on?
Old 03-16-2007, 09:55 AM
Banned

Ah, I was right the first time. Valve cover. You can pour oil over the rockers if you like. Its the lifters that people say you need to soak overnight in oil. You'll be fine just keep an eye on the oil pressure when you start it.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

That's cool. I didn't replace the lifters this go around. I'll squirt a little oil on them just to be safe.