Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are stock Rod bolts re-usable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 12:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Are stock Rod bolts re-usable?

I know the torque of the early design rod bolt is 15 ft/lb then 60 degrees, but I haven't been able to find out if they are re-usable or torque to yeild bolts. The engine in question is a 98 LS1 that was run without oil, which caused a rod bearing to spin. I have several other used LS1 rods and was wondering if the stock bolts are re-usable in order to prevent having the rod re-sized. We're just trying to get this engine back up and running as cheap as possible, so please don't tell me to get some Katech bolts.

As long as we use the same bolts or even new gm bolts we shouldn't need to have the rods re-sized correct? I will replace the damaged rod with a know good one; none of the other bearings spun.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

if theyre in a degree incrememt, theyre TTY....so dont play any games or take any risks...just get some GM rod bolts.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either get GM replacement or ARP. Call Sam Taylor if you go factory.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ping King
if theyre in a degree incrememt, theyre TTY....so dont play any games or take any risks...just get some GM rod bolts.
I'm bringing this thread back, because I would still like to know.

As far as I know, the main bolts are reusable however they also torque with a degree increment. This is info I received from TSP and I haven't had any problems with reusing them yet. If they were not reusable, they would have to be replace each time the crank was torqued down when checking for clearance etc.

The engine in question is a 98 and just to be safe we are probably going to buy new GM bolts so here is the next question. The 2000 and newer LS1 engines had stronger rod bolts from what I hear. They are the ones with ferrules (little sleeves) on them. SDPC has them listed for sale, but they are not sure if they will work with a 98 model connecting rod. Does anyone know if the new style bolt will work in a 98 rod?

Quick Reply: Are stock Rod bolts re-usable?