Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How much money for diy turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 02:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much money for diy turbo?

Assuming you have all the engine work done (heads, cam, fueling, etc.). And you have tools to cut, weld and such.

How much would it cost to setup a decent turbo kit. Im thinkin ~7-8 psi. So that would involve the turbo itself, maybe a truck manifold, some tubing, bov, and all the other goodies (how much would this all cost?)
Old 03-17-2007, 02:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

when I was gonna do it I was planning on $3000....that included 6.0 heads and a clutch....and me doing all the work myself

Keep in mind this was for a rear mount set up....front mount will cost a little more due to need new headers.

To be honest tho...you could probably fab something up for about a $1000 if you know what your doing and shop around.

If you want to go cheap make sure you dont cheap out on the turbo, BOV, wastegate....piping can be cheap and you dont need the worlds greatest IC....

If you dont plan on spending ALOT of money just forget the boost idea now and go with nitrous....trust me.......it will add up in the future

Also you will probably need to forge your engine sooner or later, and if you plan on drag racing your gonna need a better rear....the t56 may or may not hold up depending on what kind of power your running.

If you want to go cheap buy a used STS kit....they can be had for $2500 w/ a t60 turbo....should get you 7-8 psi.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:21 AM
TECH Resident

i would say that you would at least look at spending around $2500 if you knew a LOT and had a LOT of tools to 'make things' that you needed. you do not want to cheap out on parts....trust me

i bought a used STS kit and modified it
Old 03-17-2007, 08:01 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

I like your thinking Jon, haha. Im not real sure on how much it would cost but let me think here...

-Assuming you want a nice T-76 ish turbo, ~1000-1500.
A tial 50mm bov and 38mm wg ~500
Intercooler, eBay has some good ones ~ 300 ish
Silicone and clamps for cold side~100
piping, bends for cold side, no idea, never looked
hot side piping and DP~no idea again
flanges for off both truck manifolds, flange for turbo in cross crossover, flange for wg and BOV, flange for DP~ Not sure again, haha
Oil feed lines, want -3 or -4an. with fittings probably 50-100 depending on type of hose
Oil drain, -10, 100-200 depending on hose and fittings again
air filter and clamps, etc ~50
mech boost guage -50
elec FP guage- 200
vacuum lines and fittings -50-100 depending on what you buy again, i have one of those vacuum boxes.
Then like you said getting fuel, etc.
And your valvetrain is already done, however don't know how boost friendly that torquer V3 is, but it wouldnt be a hard swap, because youll have everything off the car again. If you have the welder/hack saw, i say you could probably have everything set up with a nice kit, running with the bells and whistles for maybe ~5k ish.

If you want, this would be an awesome project, and i would definitly drive down to help you fab this up!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 03-17-2007, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I spent $3500 with injectors, fuel system, intercooler, turbo, BOV, wastegate, etc between fabbing and everything. Not TOO bad, it would handle a lot more than 7-8psi boost though...
Old 03-17-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

i have also pondered this question...

here is what i came with.

MPT70 turbo(at least for now) 600.
FMIC 250
cold piping and couplers 150
bov 150
WG 350
truck manifolds 60-100
hot side 2.5 inch piping(i already bought, but i think i spent like 90 bux for more than enough mild steel mandrel bent)
the two flanges 50
DP piping is something i am not too sure one ill say 200 or so though.
injectors 400-500
i have the rails already 200.
great fuel system prob another 700 or so
a great place to tune it 500-600
Smoking hawk alternator relo 120

and i think that will get you running besides the little things like coolant oil belts plugs etc.

all in all at least 3k but you will have a pretty stout setup.

and the fuel system is included in that which other kits arent including. i think i am pretty honest on the prices and think i have most of it covered.. of course we will all get nickled and dimed throughout the process though.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just thought you might be interested in this.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/672570-turbo-kit.html

Quick Reply: How much money for diy turbo?