Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 into a g-body drag car....roughly how much $

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls1 into a g-body drag car....roughly how much $

I have an 86 monte carlo drag car.....I built this thing when I was in high school making 5 bucks an hour.....it took just over a year.

anyway the car is gutted with a 10 point cage. it weights around 2550...(i know.... gutted the **** out of that bitch) no fiberglass on the car....all the glass is still there. right now it has a th350 with a 3200-3600 stall, 4.56 gears, and a 350 with headers, intake, 750 holley and a cam. my best time is a 12.21.....no bad for less than 3500 in the whole car.

now that I bought my car and was enlightened on the abilities of the ls1. I have been thinking... if my car can run a mid 12 with just a couple of bolt-ons tipping the scales at 3750lb....what if the same motor was in my MC......mid to low 11 because of the 1000 less pounds and the stalled a3 w/ that gear. hell with full bolt-ons I could see a very high 10. also its a bracket car, so with EFI it should be even more consistent. with a cam...look out.

so around how much would I be looking at for a used complete ls1 with the computer...I know I will need an electric fuel pump set up.. plz don't say use search because I post from my pda and a lot of the times it won't let me search.. it thanks its pop ups
Old 03-17-2007, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like a cool project, but u should consider a 6.0 with ls6 or
l92 heads, for a budget buildup with a proper cam and compression
easy over 500 hp, u will be able to reuse your th350 using on the lsx
motor, unless u plan on dd the car, stick with carb. imo
the carbs REALLY wake up the lsx engines with a vic. jr. intake.
sent u pm also
Old 03-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

my buddy is doing a 5.3 and a a t-56 swap into his 84 regal. its a gnx clone but with a nine inch and 4.56's. hes bee building it now for like two years.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:32 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It depends on how much of the work you do yourself, how many junkyard parts you use, and how good you are at finding deals. It cost me just over 2500 including the motor, but I am one of the lower cost swaps on here and did everything myself except the computer tune. There are a lot of people who have 7000+ into their conversion. I kept the EFI because its my DD and it was cheaper, I bought the engine for $800 with the accys, computer, harness, etc so I just had to re-work the harness.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:27 AM
12 Second Club

I was thinking what nemeSS said....the car is already wired for an electric....fans and water pump. I will never be a DD just because it would be to dangerous and would probably cost 10k to make it street legal. All I think I would need is an intake, new carb, headers, electric water pump, fuel system and a starter.... I will have to take some pictures so you all can see just how simplified this car is. there is so much room under the hood you could fit 4 small blocks. like they did back in the day on dragsters.....lol
Old 03-26-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

More food for thought, why not build up the SBC you have now?
Old 03-27-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a beast!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably already know, but eBay has complete pulls all the time. That will give you a good idea of real-world price ranges people are asking even if you don't want to buy off there.

Food for thought: to put an LS1 in a 3rd Gen F-Body can take around $3,000 in parts (not cuonting the LS1, computer, etc.) doing the least amount of fabricating as possible and buying it all retail, or so it seems from the prices I gathered while contimplating buying a 3rd gen for the transplant. I'm sure one could do it for about half that with the know-how.

Of course, there are a couple regular LS1 G-Body guys on here, one with the LS7 Monte. He'll probably chime in on costs and such.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

Have you guys seen the video of the white Monte Carlo SS? IIRC, it has TT2's. I know he did a LS1 swap, but I don't remember what tranny he was using. It was NICE!!!!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, cost really depends on what you find and what you want, we are over the $10K mark, and don't even have anything together yet. Don't overlook the cost of feeding the LS1. A decent external pump for 500+ HP is not cheap, since it is a race car, I don't imagine you want to pay for an intank pump. You can add a sump to your existing tank and feed it external. If you are thinking about the carb route on the LS1, you can save a few bucks since you don't need anything more than the shortblock. You can find some decent heads for reasonable prices, and Edelbrock makes everything else you need for the intake. Are you planning to use an electric water pump or the engine drive? You don't need the acc. but I don't know what you will need to get a basic alternator / water pump setup running. I believe you are looking at some oilpan mods as well. I don't know about a G body, but it cost $235 for an F body to mod the pan. If you keep it FI, you have the cost of reworking the harness, the fuel system, intake tract work (don't forget the MAF and AIT!!!!), computer programming, and the fact that I do not believe your trans fits the block. I may be wrong... Mounts are less than $100, and I don't know if there are decent swap headers for your application. Sounds like a fun project!
Old 03-29-2007, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

check this out, lots of good info

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/Buick%20Reg...ationalpg1.htm
Old 03-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Do local searches on ebay (left column).. buy an ls1 with 243 (ls6) heads, put a victor intake and 750 carb, a good tunable ignition box with long tube headers your at 420+ hp. Your racing.. use the carb. it's simple, it's cheap, it's tunable. You'll lose hundreds of pounds using the aluminum motor and have over 420 hp.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

go to www.car-part.com

they have a nice used parts directory on there.

Wayne

Quick Reply: ls1 into a g-body drag car....roughly how much $