Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid Roller Questions....

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Solid Roller Questions....

What all is needed to change from hydraulic roller camshaft setup to a solid roller camshaft setup? I know valve springs, cam, and lifters...what about rocker arms, pushrods, etc....I dont know much about solid rollers. I would probably have Futral spec me if I go that route. What are the pros and cons of a solid roller setup?
Old 03-18-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

28 views and not a damn response...come on guys...I thought this was LS1tech...where all the answers can be found!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 06:31 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will need adjustable rocker arms and most likely different length pushrods + the other stuff you already mentioned.

Pros/Cons - you need to adjust the lash, more valve train noise with a solid roller, have to run much higher spring pressures which is harder on the entire valve train, you get much higher rpm valve train stability with a solid roller.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You better like adjusting valve lash, cause you'll be doing it a lot.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:25 AM
9 Second Club

Dont wanna sound rude, but if you dont know whats involved in a solid roller you prolly dont need one. There is alot of power to be made with hyd. roller set-ups. But hey no better time than now to learn, do your homework and make the best decision for you
Old 03-19-2007, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Firechikn
You better like adjusting valve lash, cause you'll be doing it a lot.
I don't think this is necessarily true. Back in the day, I was running a solid cam in a SB 302 and once I got the rockers set, I never adjusted them again.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GrimReaper
Dont wanna sound rude, but if you dont know whats involved in a solid roller you prolly dont need one. There is alot of power to be made with hyd. roller set-ups. But hey no better time than now to learn, do your homework and make the best decision for you
This is exactly what I am doing...I have been contemplating goin with a different cam lately b/c I am not completely thrilled with the lack of torque I am making with my TREX V2. I love the power and how hard it pulls up top, but I want more usuable power. I just hate having to turn the motor 4?00 before it starts pulling hard. I am tryin to learn about all my options before I change it up. I dont want to lose too much on top end, but I wanna gain down low. I am also considering a 232/238 LSK lobed cam on a 110+2, but I wanna look at all my options before I decide what is next.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:59 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jub jub
I don't think this is necessarily true. Back in the day, I was running a solid cam in a SB 302 and once I got the rockers set, I never adjusted them again.
Agree, if you have to adjust the lash alot then something is wearing.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

First question is how crazy a solid roller are you wanting to go? .650/.700/.750+
Here are a few things...
1. Depending on the lift you are going to need HUGE valve Springs 1.550+ and tall install height (alot of heads cant support that large a spring)
2. If you go with huge lift you need longer valves, (that effects the sweep of the rocker over the tip)
3. Taller valve covers or spacers
4. Adjustable Rockers like T&D/Jessel/Crowers
5. Solid Lifters
6. Purpose Built Shortblock that can handle a Huge Lift cam & RPM
7. Heads that will Flow enough to need a Solid Roller Cam
8. Intake that Can Support a solid roller cam & awesome flowing heads

You are looking at a 10k conversion, i looked through your SIG and in all honesty your parts can't support a Solid Roller Build. You could sell it all to get some of the money back....

An LSK lobe Cam will be much better and you can use the lobes with hydraulic lifters as long as you get the install height on the springs right
Old 03-19-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Juiced
First question is how crazy a solid roller are you wanting to go? .650/.700/.750+
Here are a few things...
1. Depending on the lift you are going to need HUGE valve Springs 1.550+ and tall install height (alot of heads cant support that large a spring)
2. If you go with huge lift you need longer valves, (that effects the sweep of the rocker over the tip)
3. Taller valve covers or spacers
4. Adjustable Rockers like T&D/Jessel/Crowers
5. Solid Lifters
6. Purpose Built Shortblock that can handle a Huge Lift cam & RPM
7. Heads that will Flow enough to need a Solid Roller Cam
8. Intake that Can Support a solid roller cam & awesome flowing heads

You are looking at a 10k conversion, i looked through your SIG and in all honesty your parts can't support a Solid Roller Build. You could sell it all to get some of the money back....

An LSK lobe Cam will be much better and you can use the lobes with hydraulic lifters as long as you get the install height on the springs right
Im gona have to dissagree with SOME of this. There have been a number of solid roller cars on the site that for the most part had generic mods. For an example of an older SR346 look at nineballs black formula that he just sold. Stock bottom end heads (solid) cam car.

Id say you should call up the sponsor that you will be working with and talk to them because this isnt a common set up and you will get a lot of wrong/old information becuase most of it came from members with SBC experiences.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Again it's all going to depend on how large a solid roller he wants i can see a small .650 lift cam with some 260-270 duration and small .200 numbers can be put in with a good set of off the shelf heads w/stock valves and good springs like the manley nex-tek tool steel springs... but if he wants .700 lift 280+ duration then everything has to be built around the cam.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedracer5532
Agree, if you have to adjust the lash alot then something is wearing.
I agree. I used to run a solid roller in a marine 355ci. Once the combo was broken in I never had to readjust anything. I popped the covers and checked the lash a few times but it was always the same. I would check the lash once or twice a season. That's low maintenance IMO.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is you wanted to run a smaller cam, but just be able to spin the snot out of it.

I am talking about 9000RPM solid lifter LSx. <---That is my dream motor