Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this right?

Old 03-18-2007, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this right?

Is this the right LS1 cylinder head installation kit for my stock 98 trans am? My engine builder said that some gaskets will not work because of a little cut that my and some other heads have on them.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...ges=1&pkgid=66

The last one on the list.

Thank You!

Miguel

Last edited by Miguel_in_Denver; 03-18-2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think all of those parts are necessary such as; intake gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets, etc. We all seem to reuse those parts with zero ill effects. I'd concentrate on just head gaskets and bolts. I'd recommend stepping up to the ARP bolts if your budget would allow it, but the GM MLS gaskets would be fine to use.

Your mechanic was referring to the "notched 853" castings. The deck of the head has a notch on it and requires a special "notched" gasket. It's not a big concern really. I'm about 95% sure your '98 heads (806s) don't have a notch. As for what gasket to use, you can use the notched gasket on any year LS1, but you cannot run notched heads without the notched gaskets.

Best of luck, post up any more Qs you have. Also, it sounds like your mechanic has some LSx experience from the question you asked. That's always a good thing.

Ben T.

Search this Thread