Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Opinon on Shop work

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinon on Shop work

A shop has had my car for almost 2 weeks, I'm getting the following done.

rebuilt rear
Converter install and some trans stuff
plugs
tune

The brakes needed to be replaced too.

Now I've had the rear rebuilt within a day (prior rebuilds)and it does not take nearly 2 weeks for the rest. I was told that it would be on the dyno Monday and I saw it today and it has not been touched since Friday (looks like a days work left)

I'm about to go nuts, I hope I get the call Monday saying the car is 100% done and tested.

I've had friends with complete rebuilds and testing in less then a week.

Its not like it was just dropped, it was scheduled. So I hope I hear good news Monday. Do you think I'm unfair about this or does it take 2 weeks to do the above work (15-17 hours work max)
Old 03-18-2007, 07:16 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

where is the car?
Old 03-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
where is the car?
The car is in the shop on the lift. I don't want to give the name of the shop yet. I'm hoping he will keep his word and it will be done tomorrow.

Sorry

Bandit -NJ

March 2007 GMHTP issue
Old 03-18-2007, 07:29 PM
12 Second Club

first off how long did the shop say it would take, If they said a week and its been 2 with no answer why, then you have reason to complain....everything your having done is pretty much cake work and really shouldnt take that long unless theyve been held up because they are waiting for parts or jam packed with work either way they should let you know whats up
Old 03-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Teching In

I supplied 90% of the parts, seemed other cars took priority.. He gave no time frame, but like you said its not killer work over. I think 4 days max for all the work, but what do i know..lol
Old 03-18-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

When they give you no time frame, or you don't ask when it will be ready when dropping it off......they are in your pants, my friend. Time frame for work performed should be discussed prior to, or at the time of dropoff. You give them any $ up front?? Get any kind of a receipt for it? Any written estimate as to how much they're going to charge for material and services they perform? You know their hourly labor rate? If "no" is your answer to all of this, you may be in for a big negative surprise....
Old 03-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WJ SOM SS
When they give you no time frame, or you don't ask when it will be ready when dropping it off......they are in your pants, my friend. Time frame for work performed should be discussed prior to, or at the time of dropoff. You give them any $ up front?? Get any kind of a receipt for it? Any written estimate as to how much they're going to charge for material and services they perform? You know their hourly labor rate? If "no" is your answer to all of this, you may be in for a big negative surprise....
Gave them a deposit and I do have a detailed estimate invoice listing time and parts for work and price. Only thing not on it was the brakes.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well,it's hard to say.I doubt they are screwing you.Did you setup an appointment to do all the work you have listed or was it a smaller job and you added things last minute? The reason I ask is because it happens to us all the time and it sucks.I hate it when customer's supply the parts because there is alway's something missing which really screws up our schedule.

I wouldn't worry yet.If you don't get the car back this week without a good reason then I'd complain.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Xth105...... Any update today (it's Monday nite) on the work being performed on your car? WJ
Old 03-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WJ SOM SS
Xth105...... Any update today (it's Monday nite) on the work being performed on your car? WJ
They finished the main work on the car today and tomorrow morning will be the shake down and dyno tune. When they are done with the tune they will put it on the lift to check for leaks or any issues.

I should have the car tomorrow barring any issues after the dyno tune.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just wait. Thats all you can do. Next time get the ETA up front.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Xth105
They finished the main work on the car today and tomorrow morning will be the shake down and dyno tune. When they are done with the tune they will put it on the lift to check for leaks or any issues.

I should have the car tomorrow barring any issues after the dyno tune.
That's great. Good luck w/it.