Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Loud/altered Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud/altered Exhaust

Driving down Fall River Ave. (Seekonk, Ma) in my dd (2000 civic) when some cop pulls me over. takes my lic and reg walks around my car looking for something to tag me on then goes "o i pulled you over because of your muffler." i tell him my muffler is legal because it was designed for the car and the company that sells them states that it is 50state street legal. he replies just because they say it's legal doesn't mean it is. then i asked then how come i passed emissions for the 3 years that ive had it on. then i asked if he had a meter that show him if it's to loud. he says nothing goes to his car for 15min then come back with a ticket. im so pissed i wanted to kill that ****** pig $100 fine.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it to court and get it dropped!! If he didn't check it with a DB meter, you're fine!
Old 03-18-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

should i fight it, my stock z28 is louder then my civic. i can take the time off of work but does ne1 think i can win, muffler is a direct bolt-on flowmaster
Old 03-18-2007, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

i think you can definatly win, hell i've won when i had a cam and cutouts.... jsut for the fact he didnt check it with a meter
Old 03-19-2007, 12:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

when i went for mine the guy couldn't even tell me what the decibel limit was... it got dropped
Old 03-19-2007, 12:37 AM
TECH Resident

Tim you got pulled over for your exhaust......I don't believe it
Old 03-19-2007, 06:39 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Numba1Stunna
Driving down Fall River Ave. (Seekonk, Ma) in my dd (2000 civic) when some cop pulls me over. takes my lic and reg walks around my car looking for something to tag me on then goes "o i pulled you over because of your muffler." i tell him my muffler is legal because it was designed for the car and the company that sells them states that it is 50state street legal. he replies just because they say it's legal doesn't mean it is. then i asked then how come i passed emissions for the 3 years that ive had it on. then i asked if he had a meter that show him if it's to loud. he says nothing goes to his car for 15min then come back with a ticket. im so pissed i wanted to kill that ****** pig $100 fine.
Get a different DD.

BTW, I have confirmed this with some of CT state troopers, I know a few of them. There is a bias for imports over domestics.

Aside from that, fight it, the worst they can do is make you pay it, or go for an inspection.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:21 AM
11 Second Club

go to court and present them with your last 3 receipts for State Inspection and your in the clear. but even if you dont have them, the fact that he doesnt have a DB reading, it'll get tossed.
i love Gung Ho cops that love to break *****...especially about loud exhaust. I have yet to hear a muffler on a car thats louder than any Harley on the road.

ball busters!!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stay away from the ave they pull everyone over and figure out the ticket later.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

fight it like the others have said its not gonna hold water w/o him actully testing it right there. also id bring a statement from the company stating it passed for 50 state legal.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

As much as I hate to say it, the cop was right (in what he said, not what he did IMHO). 50 state legal doesn't mean ****. The laWr in Mass. is that you can't have an exhaust that increases the volume of the car. Plain and simple. I'm pretty sure it can easily hold up in court without a Db meter as well. Passing emissions won't help you either. I passes with a cutout multiple times, doesn't make them any more legal. Sorry man.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll ask the obvious.

Why the hell do you have a flowmaster on a Civic?He probly pulled you over for how horrible it sounded J/K
Old 03-19-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you can hardly hear it lol, only at wot you can but i was driving slow
Old 03-19-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the funny thing is i ve been waiting for better weather to put the stock muffler back on, ever since igot my camaro i couldnt stand that muffler lol
Old 03-19-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

I have a feeling that most cops pull over imports more often than domestice stuff as well. Which is good for us... usually. That sounds like the kind of thing where the cop wouldn't even show up if you fought it. Probably just trying to fill his quota, or shut your flowmaster equipped civic up
Old 03-19-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: king of prussia, pa (home) and williamsport, pa (school)

Originally Posted by TNTramair
go to court and present them with your last 3 receipts for State Inspection and your in the clear. but even if you dont have them, the fact that he doesnt have a DB reading, it'll get tossed.
i love Gung Ho cops that love to break *****...especially about loud exhaust. I have yet to hear a muffler on a car thats louder than any Harley on the road.

ball busters!!
before i say anything ... i saw your ride at hsw when i dropped it off last monday ... what you gettin worked on now?

holy hell good point about the harleys! I live in king of prussia and got pulled over a long time ago when i had my shortys, ory, and NOTHING ELSE. damn hack job. cop said nothing about the exhaust and it was loud as ****!

FIGHT THE TICKET!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Most of the Civics with the fart pipes are much louder than my TA.

These kids are always reving the exhaust through the gears and usually the car is barely moving.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Also the complaint about harleys being too loud, Loud pipes SAVE lives when your on a harley so I don't think anyone should ever complain about harleys being loud. Anyway, this is why we invented cutouts
Old 03-19-2007, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fibbado
Also the complaint about harleys being too loud, Loud pipes SAVE lives when your on a harley so I don't think anyone should ever complain about harleys being loud. Anyway, this is why we invented cutouts
i didnt comment that Harleys were TOO loud...i was just merely stating an opinion that they are louder than any muffler ive ever heard on a car...thats all. whats good for the goose should be good for the gander but unfortunetly it doesnt allways work like that in todays world.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:32 AM
Launching!

As has been stated, the law in this lame-*** state is that you may not alter your exhaust in any way for the purposes of making the car louder. Now, some people will say that you can fight the failure at the inspection station or the ticket by claiming you did not modify the exhaust to make the car louder, and that's just a byproduct. But, you are at the mercy of the system. And, there is no decibel level for cars that is deemed acceptable, it's not part of the law. So, if the inspection station guy or the cop "thinks" it's louder than stock, then there you go, you're fucked.

I've not had to deal with this personally, but have read of others' struggles in threads in some of the forums I frequent. My colleague at school failed on his Impreza for a very mild Borla...he had to remove it and replace the stock system to pass.

I hate Mass. with a passion.