Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 02:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Noise

To answer your first question i've beeing searching the threads (used search option) for about an hour now and cannot find what i'm looking for.

1. When I engage my clutch it makes a sound after i've been moving like WHIRRRRRR a deeper sound...maybe a bearing? what do you think this is?

2. My pedal does not feel as stiff as it shoudl be (stock clutch as far as a know) sometimes it will not start and I have to pump it a few times for it to engage to start (yes i know the clutch is hydralic). leaky slave cylinder mabye? what do you think this is?

Thanks for your input!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like bad hydros, check your master cylinder first and if its ok pull the slave out and replace it. Might as well throw in an LS7 clutch too while youre in there too.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

That whirring noise could be from bad master or slave?
Old 03-19-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By engage I assume you mean press the pedal? If so the whirring is probably your throwout bearing. Could be getting ready to go or it could be an issue with the pressure plate fingers not mating up flat with the TO bearing. Either could be contributing to your pedal problem. Is the fluid reservoir full and is the fluid clear? If it's not then you've got something leaking. Check under the car at the slit where the bellhousing meets the gear box for fluid dripping.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:09 AM
FormerVendor

Please clarify when the noise is made. This will help us better assess the issue. Thanks,
Old 03-20-2007, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

I apologize i thought i did. Apparently not. The noise occurs after i have been moving if i engage the clutch and shift into another gear. it makes the noise for about 15-20 seconds then quites. I notice it most when coming to a stoplight and downshift while rolling. When i have the peddle to the floor and shift it makes the noise soon as I shift (while speeding up and upshifting) and as soon as I release the clutch the noise stops.

Anything else that could help figure this out thanks.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:07 AM
On The Tree

To add and take away from the above post.....
The noise is worst when going into first anywhere above 15mph...below that the noise stops usually. If the noise occurs when going say 25 in 2nd gear and i shift to 3rd the noise will stop usually. In relation to the length of the whirr...all depends on how fast i'm going. The faster i'm going the longer it goes.

For those who think it might be hydralics..what specifically could be causing this noise? within the hydralic itself i mean. I'm just curious bout that...a bearing makes sense. in any case...specifically whats the cause? which bearing...which hyrdo?