LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

choosing headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question choosing headers

do u gain power on ceramic coated headers over painted? why are they more expensive(ceramic)? power difference pacesetters and hooker both long tube, is it a big diff?

Last edited by yaboiJ; 03-19-2007 at 01:52 PM. Reason: more specific
Old 03-19-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

you do not gain power from coating. it is more expensive because it is another process in manufacturing. there are negligible differences between long tube headers.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Teching In

:bump::

pacesetters or hooker?
Old 03-19-2007, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

My opinion? Pacesetters. Just get the coated ones, they're worth the extra money. They'll keep your engine bay cooler, will last longer and they look better.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Teching In

how much hp u get from hooker long tube painted?pacesetter long tube coated?
Old 03-19-2007, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by yaboiJ
do u gain power on ceramic coated headers over painted? why are they more expensive(ceramic)? power difference pacesetters and hooker both long tube, is it a big diff?

no, people buy ceramics because they are more durable and last longer. That ceramic coating is a protectant for the headers. If you just by painted ones it will burn off and they will begin rusting shortly after.

Hooker are the way to go if you have the cash. Pacesetter are the cheapest for a reason.

I'm sorry but my personal opinion is that pacesetters are garbage. The damn things don't even fit right. Many of my club members buy them for some reason, and all I hear is that they have to bend them (flex them) to fit right to the Y pipe. Wtf is that ya know? Also look at the diameters, hooker vs pacsetter. Your paying extra for hooker cause your buying better quality all around.

W/ Hookers or Kooks you can't go wrong. They have everything figured out. Also the first exhaust pipe on the drivers side header is removable so that you can work around your steering linkage when installing, becuase beleive me installing LT's on a LT1 are hard enough lol. They have it all figured out.

I purchased a set of ASM's that have the same features as hookers the (steering linkage fit).

http://www.azspeed.com/as19lt1flotu.html
Old 03-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Teching In

how long will painted hookers last me? what exhaust goes good with them?
Old 03-19-2007, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

it's hard to say how long the ceramic will hold up, possibly 3-5 years but I have a set of hookers that are over 20 years old that are on my 70 Nova SS. And these are not the ceramics. My dad and I are redoing the car but the hookers heads just need to be sandblasted and there good as new, shows you the quality of them.

The headers themselves will last a long time, I can't say the same for pacesetters.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

hookers are sweet....but the kooks are better IMO. i'll be getting the stepped ones some point soon.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Bossz28
no, people buy ceramics because they are more durable and last longer. That ceramic coating is a protectant for the headers. If you just by painted ones it will burn off and they will begin rusting shortly after.

Hooker are the way to go if you have the cash. Pacesetter are the cheapest for a reason.

I'm sorry but my personal opinion is that pacesetters are garbage. The damn things don't even fit right. Many of my club members buy them for some reason, and all I hear is that they have to bend them (flex them) to fit right to the Y pipe. Wtf is that ya know? Also look at the diameters, hooker vs pacsetter. Your paying extra for hooker cause your buying better quality all around.

W/ Hookers or Kooks you can't go wrong. They have everything figured out. Also the first exhaust pipe on the drivers side header is removable so that you can work around your steering linkage when installing, becuase beleive me installing LT's on a LT1 are hard enough lol. They have it all figured out.

I purchased a set of ASM's that have the same features as hookers the (steering linkage fit).

http://www.azspeed.com/as19lt1flotu.html
sounds like you are incredibly bias. if you think that pacesetters are garbage because they dont slip right in then you better consider your prized hookers and the overpriced kooks garbage as well. i have not read a single post on any forum talking about lt1 long tubes (of any brand).
Old 03-20-2007, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

I have coated pacesetter LT's and I love em. Alot of people don't like them because of the gaskets and bolts that they give you but they have changed that. The gaskets are no longer the papery pieces of crap they used to have and the bolts work fine. Just my opinion, take it as you want, but pacesetters are a good header and are the best bang for the buck. Good luck with your decision. And kooks are AWESOME headers but i just can't see myself spending 800-1,000 bucks just for headers. Once again, just my opinion.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

snip
Well you're entitled to your opinion, but I'd have to disagree with Pacesetters being "garbage." My friend had them on his 94 Z28, and they fit fine, with no modification necessary, and my 98 (granted it's an LS1 car, but whatever) they also fit great, so possibly the people installing that were telling you that you have to bend them, flex them, and all sorts of other work weren't installing them correctly? They've also been proven time and time again to make good power too. How much are the coated Hookers with larger primaries anyways? Last time I looked they were over 600 bucks...that's getting close to Kooks/QTP pricing, so if you're going to spend that much, why not just pay a little more and get the absolute best?
Old 03-20-2007, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Haha..we must have been typing at the same time i just got mine in first. But yea..see..i'm not the only one who thinks pacesetters are a good header. If you do a search on here you will find tons of posts and threads about pacesetters and will be surprised at how many people on here use them and have had no problems with them.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:12 PM
KTM
On The Tree

I just bought and recieved (yesterday) my pacesetters. I was nearly going to buy the hookers - mostly for brand recognition and reputation...but I got a swinging deal on the pacesetters and just couldn't see spending double on the hookers. Anyhow - I'm way impressed with the pacesetter quality. Granted - I haven't put them in yet, so I can't comment on fit - but they are very thick flanges, great looking bends etc. They really, really look good. And did you know they are actually made in Arizona ? I figured they were made over seas...not the case though. The pacesetters actually have a thicker flange -and thicker tubing than the hookers as well. Anyhow - I was doing the same back and forth on what headers to buy about 3 weeks ago...So far - I think I made a good decision. Oh, lastly...mine did come with the crap gaskets - so I had to spend another $39 for good ones - still WAY ahead cost wise - and the last set of Hooker super comps I bought for the small block in my '68 came with the same crap gaskets...which are currently blown out and sound like crap...so I bought a good set of gaskets for it too (percys dead soft)...
Old 03-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Banned

Bingo
Hooker are the way to go if you have the cash. Pacesetter are the cheapest for a reason. I'm sorry but my personal opinion is that pacesetters are garbage. The damn things don't even fit right.
95% of the people that bought (Pacesetters) say they fit flawlessly.
Including me.
Maybe you had a bad experience with them?
Your paying extra for hooker cause your buying better quality all around.]
The quality of the Hooker's coating is not, if at all any better then the Coating on the Pacesetters.
Both will last 3-5 years, pending location, use, etc...
In a 20 page thread on here in the external mods section, there was a discussion on this between Pacesetters LT's, Jet Hot LT's, and Hooker LT's (all coated) and the Jet Hot's got the best remarks in terms of coating for the price.
I do agree with you that Hookers are nice headers, because they are, but they are not leaps and bounds over the competition.
All Longtubes offer the same gains, its just comes down to the users opinion.

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
you do not gain power from coating. it is more expensive because it is another process in manufacturing. search:
Not true.
Cooler air exiting your motor is nearly as important as cool air entering your motor.
Its been proven that headers with high temp coatings offer more gains, and not just on big HP cars, but bolt on cars as well.

Last edited by burnzilla; 03-20-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Buy Hooker headers with Jet Hot ceramic coating $480 cant go wrong there. Pacesetters are trash by the way.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:10 PM
KTM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wkniffin98ss
Buy Hooker headers with Jet Hot ceramic coating $480 cant go wrong there. Pacesetters are trash by the way.
I certainly won't argue with your opinion of pacesetters being trash - I won't agree with it - but that is OK....However, I am curious where you can get coated hookers for $480 ? Summit has them for for $695 (no Y pipe)..I'm sure by shopping around you can beat that...but I'd be surprised if you could beat it by $215. My (trash) pacesetters was $490 INCLUDING the Y pipe And including shipping...that, I thought, would be very hard to beat.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Check out COATED EDELBROCK's.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Id rather buy two pair of pacesetters and replace them when they go bad lol!
Old 03-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Teching In

but how much power does pacesetters give? hookers? edelbrocks?

Quick Reply: choosing headers