PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0343 - I've searched the forum with no luck!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question P0343 - I've searched the forum with no luck!

I rebuilt my entire engine about a month ago. I babied the engine for 700 miles. I did my first oil change (used amsoil full synthetic). I did this on a friday. that saturday night I stared going WOT to about 6,000RPMS. That sunday night, my tach died. That next day, Monday, I started noticing a knocking noise but only over 2,000RPMS. That was 3 weeks ago. From that night until now, the tach will work at random times, but always eventually dropping to 0.

I put a new sensor in it this past thursday night, but even as soon as I cranked it up, the tach gauge is STILL only working at random times. Ever since I installed that new sensor, I have noticed that the knocking noise has quieted down, almost gone at some times.

People were guessing a rod bearing was about to spin. Until today, I was starting to think that. Today the knocking noise was totally gone. Almost as if nothing was wrong with the car. If it were a rod bearing about to go, wouldn't I have heard the sound all the time now?

Could it be loose cam sprocket bolts? I checked the old sensor, and it looked clean with no metal on the end.

I think I'm going to check the wiring harness for burns or frays.

Any input would be incredible! Thanks you guys!
Old 03-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LS1 or LS2? Is the oil pressure ok? I have heard rod knocks come and go. Just because its quiet now, doesnt mean its NOT a rod knock.
As for the cam sensor code, man, it could be a bunch of diff stuff. You're on the right track, though, checking the harness. Especially if you just put the motor in recently. Check the female pins in the connector real good. They have a bad habit of opening up on all kinds of stuff. Not likely on something like this if it wasnt tampered with, but bein as you just got done messin with it, its a possibility.
Next step is get a scope on it. If you have access to a scope or graphing DMM and need some pointers, PM me and I'll see if I can help out.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Took the timing cover off. All 3 bolts were loose. One of 3 was "snug". When I cleaned 2 and put red locktite on them and torqued them down, I realized that the 3rd bolt was actually loose about 1/8th of an inch!!!!

Putting it back together now. Hopefully nothing is messed up!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Problem solved. About 30 seconds after I cranked it, the tach came up and the SES light went off. There is still a noise above 3,000RPMS, although not as loud now. I wonder if it's a lifter going bad? How could I check for that without taking the heads off? Could I take the valve covers off and do some kind of test?