Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Dan's truck part II

Old 03-19-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dan's truck part II

ok, that other thread was too damn long. So, here's where we stand. I got all the plugs changed and stopped the exhaust leaks (that i caused). truck is idling good. i logged some data and sent it to don. all looked fine but the truck was running like ***. lack of power, bogging out etc.

he made some tranny adjustments and vwaaaala. like magic. made a big difference. i'm still thinking something is not 100% cause from a dead stop the tires don't break loose. it gets to 90 in a friggin hurry though.

The newest discovory though is this. my voltage is fluctuating while cruising. 55mph, 2000rpm, in vacuum, voltage drops from 14ish to 11ish, headlights dim, comes back up. I moved the main alt wire away from the spark plug wires and away from the crossover pipe. Haven't driven it yet. Will report back tomorrow.

Anyone think I may have a loose ground somewhere? never crossed my mind until about 4sec ago.

oh, and i just did the troubleshooting on the new dynotune a/f gauge. turns out my O2 sensor is dead. oops. no wonder it wasn't reading accurate. I'm thinking of selling the LC1 and dynotune gauge for a Wideband Commander
Old 03-19-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds good Dan. What convertor dou you have in there??? That might be part of your spinning problem
Old 03-19-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

converter is a Yank SC3000. It spun the **** out of the tires when i first picked it up. Although, i did put fat new tires on there. maybe they just grip really well, lol.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i hear ya on the lc-1 im starting to think there wayyyyyyy to picky and sensitive for NE weather, ill be going on my 4th sensor in 2 yrs as for the spinning tires. im willing to bet its the new tires plus the roads have , well were warming up, go out tonight and see what happens :jest;
Old 03-19-2007, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DanaliHD
converter is a Yank SC3000. It spun the **** out of the tires when i first picked it up. Although, i did put fat new tires on there. maybe they just grip really well, lol.

What did you put for tires? New wheels too right? Did I miss that thread?
Old 03-19-2007, 10:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually that sensor was new.I used the one from the shop when we had it and never changed it.
Verify with EFI live if it's working right,not that shitty LC1 software crap.

As for spinning.Hold the brakes,roll the gas till you see 5+ lbs of boost and let the hammer drop.Should spin for a long time.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

I put Weld Evo Renegade 8 wheels on 18X8.5" and Cooper Zeon XST 285/55/18 tires. According to the "troubleshooting" of the a/f gauge, the sensor is dead. It doesn't heat up. oh well.

The coolest thing happened tonight. Started the truck, sitting in the parking lot at work. truck was pretty quite, smooth idle. I was thinking, hmm, why is my dash so dim. looked at the voltage. it read under 12. like, 9 i would guess. lol. touched the gas a few times and it jumped back up to 14+ and stayed there. WTF? It's almost funny.................almost. It's got to be a ground wire or a bad connection somewhere right?
Old 03-20-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

have you tried testing the alternator diode?
Old 03-20-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

no, haven't tested the diode, not even sure what that means, lol.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Junkie

i know the alt. has been cleaned and reassembled. Don made sure that it qorked before it went back in the truck.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 8ALTNG
i know the alt. has been cleaned and reassembled. Don made sure that it qorked before it went back in the truck.
yuppers, so looks like i'm gonna be chasing ground wires and tearing into all these wire looms looking for a problem. Should i post up the voltage issue in another section on here? maybe somebody else will have some thoughts.

The truck is possesed, no question about it.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The altinator is directly wired the the computer.
The power wire is direct to the battery.
2 big ground wires with 1 to the frame and 1 to the motor.

Doubt any of those are the problem. I would start with the headlight mods you did.Vette's have a ton of problems when they modify the headlights.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

I say the rectifier might be blown. This is most likely due to a homotron. A homotron is a queer electron in the system that goes around blowing rectifiers. Noyzee has had that problem a lot.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whip
I say the rectifier might be blown. This is most likely due to a homotron. A homotron is a queer electron in the system that goes around blowing rectifiers. Noyzee has had that problem a lot.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

the spinign issue might be because you where supercharged and your now turbo. you dont have the low end power as the supercharger gave you.

brake boosting will fix that
Old 03-21-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
The altinator is directly wired the the computer.
The power wire is direct to the battery.
2 big ground wires with 1 to the frame and 1 to the motor.

Doubt any of those are the problem. I would start with the headlight mods you did.Vette's have a ton of problems when they modify the headlights.
hmm, good call. i'll check it out. i also noticed my friggin blinker light on the gauge works when it wants to. one quick fist to the dash fixes it though, lol. something is loose in there for sure. also have a loose wire somewhere in the speaker of the rear pass door. gonna fix that tomorrow. i'm pulling the whole kit off tomorrow to re heat wrap it with black wrap. should look pretty sweet. i'll post pics if i remember
Old 03-25-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

fixed it.............kinda. i hooked the eboost back up and now it runs like a champ. had to put the 10lb spring back in cause it was overboosting the stock settings. working out some TCC bugs right now. not diggin the locking unlocking settings. no big deal.

now the big challenge is gonna be making heads or tails of the eboost manual. I read it twice today and i'm still totally confused. right now i'm leaving it set to stock witch appears to run strictly off the wastegate.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

wow, that didn't last long. back to running like ***. unreal. when the tcc locks the a/f goes to 17:1. thats fun.

the exhaust SMELLS. holy ****. very strange, wasn't like that 2 days ago.

the bov is missing 2 of 3 nuts. the 1 that was on there was loose. also the bov piston is all scratched up. According the the instructions that is a sign of wear and it needs to be replace. hmm, could this be the cause of my problems? probably not.

At this point i'm thinking it's mostly TC related. i have a funny feeling the converter is shot or one of the connectors to the trans is f'd up.

A/F seems fine, idle is fine, plugs/wires are fine, spark is fine, vacuum is 15ish at idle, it makes boost just fine (a little slower than usual right now).

when i'm not in boost it sputters, boggs, etc. BUT, there is no sign of this other than me telling you. No engine data i could show you would indicate a problem.

I'm bringing it to the trans guy who installed the tc tomorrow. see what he says. Also gonna look more into this bov issue. Then, don't know what.

I feel like i'm bi-polar.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

pulled the turbo, downpipe, and crossover pipe off the truck again tonight. good times. checked the resistance on the plug wires. pass side were all the same, 0.92. Driver's side had 3 the same at 0.09 and one at 5.85. I replaced that one. Does it matter that the resistance on the pass and driver's side don't match?

anyway, the plugs all looked fine. I was worried about one of them because it didn't show much sign of wear. Then i did a compression test. all 8 cylinders were exactly the same, just shy of 9 on my cheapo advance auto parts gauge.

i put the driver's side coil pack were it belongs because it wasn't bolted down properly. grounded them both to the firewall. rewrapped the crossover and downpipe with the darker color exhaust wrap. now i need to spray it and put it all back together.

Friday it's going in for a vacuum check. hopefully something will show up. otherwise, nobody had a god damn clue what is wrong with it.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

was the unfiring plug the one with the bad wire?

Search this Thread