Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

New to Forum questions about stock rearend

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forum questions about stock rearend

I just purcahsed a 99 Ram Air Trans Am. Only modification has been rear gears to 3.73. The car is stock otherwise. I have been reading on this forum that factory rear ends are week. I plan to take this car to the track and race it. So I was going to get a set of MT Drag Radials , subframe conectrs and drive shaft loop.
Should I just get e new rear end also ( before I even go to the track)? How log will the stock 10 bolt last on a stock engine? I will race this thing regularly.
Other planed mods SLP Lid, Converter and other boltons. I would like to run mid 12's when I am done.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

the 10 bolts in the a4 cars are a little stronger than the m6 10 bolts. also, some people have broken their rear on stock hp while others have been able to build some big hp on them.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NviouSS
the 10 bolts in the a4 cars are a little stronger than the m6 10 bolts. also, some people have broken their rear on stock hp while others have been able to build some big hp on them.
It's hit or miss, mostly miss though.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just go and find out... If you got the cash, then why not.

I have had my built 10 bolt in the mid 1.5X 60' everytime last year with my A4.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 10-bolts that came in automatic cars are not by any means stronger than the 10-bolt rears that came in the manual cars, so if you have a manual, don't go out looking for an automatic rear. The rears in the auto cars typically last longer because the auto puts out a lot less shock on the drivetrain. The shock transmitted to the rear end from a clutch dump is far more devastating than stalling the car up and then launching.

So while the 10-bolt may hold up better behind an auto transmission instead of a manual...it has to do with the transmission and the way the power is sent to the rear end, not how strong the rear end is