Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to remove tough overspray

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove tough overspray

I got some silver overspray on the car due to a gust of wind that came out of nowhere. I've tried a claybar and it won't take it off. I've got a buddy that can buff pretty damn good and he says he can get it off. Any other suggestions?
Old 03-20-2007, 12:30 AM
TECH Veteran

clay bar should work, or if you dont wanna go that harsh, then try some cleaner wax first
Old 03-20-2007, 05:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A buffer should definately be able to take it off with the correct compound but I'm surprised the clay bar couldn't handle it.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if a clay bar wont do it, try nail polish remover. Dont let him use the buffer, unless he knows how to not put swirls in the finish. 3M has a adhesive remover that will work also, dont know the # off hand but it comes in a white/red spray can.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that right there with a buffer i am 100% sure will get it off and wont be that long of a process.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bjamick

that right there with a buffer i am 100% sure will get it off and wont be that long of a process.
Hold on there. That should NOT be used. The picture is 3M Perfect it II rubbing, that is a medium cut. That on a buffer will swirl his car all up and make more problems. Do NOT use that. Try nail polish remover or some lacquer thinner first. Nail polish remover should remove it no problem. If it's on the glass use some 0000steel wool to clean it off the glass.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

O OK well thats what ive seen used a bunch to detail cars with and then follow with a 3m polish with a polishing pad. not for sure bout the perfect it part i just know that we used the 3m rubbing compound followed by the polish. All using the buffer to do it, and the outcomes have been great. But we did water sand the car first also (shrug)
Old 03-20-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bjamick
O OK well thats what ive seen used a bunch to detail cars with and then follow with a 3m polish with a polishing pad. not for sure bout the perfect it part i just know that we used the 3m rubbing compound followed by the polish. All using the buffer to do it, and the outcomes have been great. But we did water sand the car first also (shrug)
Sounds like you were color sanding, then buffing and following with a glaze. He just has some overspray and to remove you dont need a buffer in anyway.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

what kind of silver paint? If it's just one of those "auto touchup" spray cans, try lacquer thinner on a terry cloth, rub across lightly!
Old 03-20-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

oh, didnt read that you tried a claybar, damn I am suprised that didnt take it off
Old 03-20-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try polish remover as soon as my wife gets home. I don't know where she keeps that crap
Old 03-20-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

Nail polish remover is ACETONE. This WILL harm your factory finish. Lacquer thinner however takes a long time for it to even start to damage factory urethane paint, and will quickly soften spray paint (most of the time is lacquer based). I completely removed a painted on pinstripe on my Olds with lacquer thinner, and the original paint was untouched.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another vote for laquer thinner..no pressure and keep the rag moving.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

clay bar is the safest way to get it off .. personally I would work the clay for a bit before I tried anything else ..

there are several things to try prior to buffing it with a mediumj cut compound ..

have any plastic razor blades ?

also, prior to the buffing, you could try some scratch-X, or Meg's #2 both can be used by hand ..
Old 03-20-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rhedalert
Nail polish remover is ACETONE. This WILL harm your factory finish. Lacquer thinner however takes a long time for it to even start to damage factory urethane paint, and will quickly soften spray paint (most of the time is lacquer based). I completely removed a painted on pinstripe on my Olds with lacquer thinner, and the original paint was untouched.
Who told you acetone will hurt paint? I'm a professional detailer and use acetone all the time. Lacquer thinner will start to eat into the paint before acetone ever will.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jargan04
Who told you acetone will hurt paint? I'm a professional detailer and use acetone all the time. Lacquer thinner will start to eat into the paint before acetone ever will.
Just used some fingernail polish remover and it came right off and didn't hurt anything. I barely had to rub it.
Thanks for the help!
Old 03-20-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BatmobileSS
Just used some fingernail polish remover and it came right off and didn't hurt anything. I barely had to rub it.
Thanks for the help!
Glad to hear. No problem, glad I could help.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jargan04

What method do you use with acetone? I watched someone mess their factory paint up with it once, trying to remove a scuff mark on a painted bumper. Paint softened and went "dull", went thru the clearcoat and the color showed on his rag. Since I've seen that, I haven't ever chanced it.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rhedalert
What method do you use with acetone? I watched someone mess their factory paint up with it once, trying to remove a scuff mark on a painted bumper. Paint softened and went "dull", went thru the clearcoat and the color showed on his rag. Since I've seen that, I haven't ever chanced it.
Just put some on a rag and wipe down the area. Never and I mean never had a single problem with it. I could see what you said happening if it was some strong thinner, but not acetone. Just the other day I removed white paint from a silver car when the owner scraped the garage opening. Again never had a single problem with it ever.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

clay bar or laquer thinner, should do the trick no problem, dont get into rubbing compounds unless all else fails.. DESTROYS paint if not used in the smallest amounts

Quick Reply: How to remove tough overspray