Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

non baffled tank?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default non baffled tank?

i'm building a '69 chevelle w/ a '04 lq9... is it completely necessary to add baffles to my fuel tank? (READ: i plan on using a stock style tank, no B-body tank, also, the tank is new so i wont blow myself up welding on it)...

i know the purpose they serve, but if i monitor the fuel level and always keep a certain amount (1/4 tank) will i really have a problem? my buddy has a mustang cobra engine in his '69 cougar w/out baffles and has no problems, but his has only been running for a few weeks, so long term testing has yet to reveal any fuel starvation problems...

has anyone had experience with these? http://apeusa.com/html/pickups.html

so shoudl i add baffles, or get a couple of those pickups?
Old 03-20-2007, 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be ok, for DD and highway ... ... as long as you don't make any hard Turns, stop or starts with a low fuel level.

A simple solution is the Tank Inc setup.. No real heavy tank mod's to do. Just cut a hole and mount the unit and your done. Search on other Chevelle guys that have the Tank INC. unit and pump too get a option from them and what they did to mount it.

But IMO.. I'd feel safer if I had the Baffles.

Good luck...
Old 03-20-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

As long as you keep it above quarter of a tank you will be fine.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just modified a stock '99 F-body pump assembly for my Chevy II. Not a big deal to modify and I feel like I have a factory-like setup.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Novas Forever
I just modified a stock '99 F-body pump assembly for my Chevy II. Not a big deal to modify and I feel like I have a factory-like setup.
Got pics of that?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:23 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don`t have pics of that exact application, but there are pics of a late model camaro sending unit in a delta 88 tank here http://www.cardomain.com/ride/716267/3

The nice thing about doing that is you don`t have to worry about having a baffled tank B/C the f-body sending unit has a venturi system and bucket to keep the pump submerged.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by G-Body
I don`t have pics of that exact application, but there are pics of a late model camaro sending unit in a delta 88 tank here http://www.cardomain.com/ride/716267/3

The nice thing about doing that is you don`t have to worry about having a baffled tank B/C the f-body sending unit has a venturi system and bucket to keep the pump submerged.
That was the one I was thinking of when it was mentioned...nice, adding to LS1tech.com favorites folder Thanks!
Old 03-21-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will post pictures of my Nova tank/'99 Fbody pump assembly tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am using a new stock replacement tank for my Nova and a '99 F-bdoy pump assembly. I cut a hole in the deepest part of the tank (front) so the assembly would fit in(it is cut but not beautifil). The assembly was too long so I took it apart, trimmed some material off of the cup and remover the pump to outlet hose. I purchased fuel injection hose and replaced the hose I cut with it to get the assemply the hieght I need. I did not use the original outlet or vent since I needed the space. I used a brass 3/8 inch hose 90 degree and cut a hole directly above the fuel pump outlet so I could hook them up. The fuel injection hose does not bend easily and there was very little room. I hooked the small 1/8 inch primer hose back up so the bucket would stay full as designed from the factory(carefully heat up the stock tubing and push it on the pump). I drilled holes in the pump assembly flange so it could be screwed down to the tank. With some j-nuts and a gasket it will be bolt on. I modified the fuel gauge sender since the stock pickup/sender is in the way of the new pump assembly. The sender will be screwed to the inside of the tank. That is how I did it.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nova how tall is the f-body pump assembly? Nice work btw. Also how much do you think you'll have in your tank set up once it's up and going? Thanks
Old 03-22-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nova .. as in the Chevelle tanks and setups .. does the top of the sending (tubing and all) clear the trunk floor ? or do you need to clearence the floor (as I had to do with using a Impala tank). Many have put a notch in the tank to drop the top of the sending unit lower to avoid cutting up the trunk floor.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

indyjc - It was aropund 12" when I started. I bought the pump assembly used for $35 and the new tank was $135 plus $10 misc so about $180. Thanks for the good word.

bczee - I was wondering if someone would ask about clearance and you are correct there will have to be clearance made. I think I will cut only what is necessary out of the trunk floor and make a sheet metal cover for the spot that is raised for the clearance. A side benefit would be that if I screw the sheet metal cover down I could unscrew it to replace the pump if needed.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Novas Forever
indyjc - It was aropund 12" when I started. I bought the pump assembly used for $35 and the new tank was $135 plus $10 misc so about $180. Thanks for the good word.

bczee - I was wondering if someone would ask about clearance and you are correct there will have to be clearance made. I think I will cut only what is necessary out of the trunk floor and make a sheet metal cover for the spot that is raised for the clearance. A side benefit would be that if I screw the sheet metal cover down I could unscrew it to replace the pump if needed.
What Novas forever did is the way to go. I went with the TanksInc kit, but in hind sight I woulda rather went this way. The kit from tanksinc is not any easier to install than this woulda been, and woulda been quite a bit cheaper and been just as good. Instead of recessing the tank, I will clearance the trunk floor too.

Last edited by kdawgmfic; 03-22-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Novas Forever...thanks for posting the pics. What are you using to seal the setup so fuel doesn't come out?
Old 03-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Teching In

I fabed a tank for my 66 c-10 and used the stock 5.3 fuel pump and did not baffle the tank. I have run the truck to almost empty many times and have never had any problems. I figured since the stock 05 tank wasnt baffled why should mine be. It will be fine.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nova... yeah, I cut the truck floor out for the Sending unit/lines. And that is what I did created a pan and screwed it do for access in the future problems. If I remember correctly.. another chevelle guy (Blackrose90 ?) did a great job of cutting and fab'in up a hump. He posted it in a few threads..

You should be able to see what I did in my Cardomain project, the URL is in my sig..
Old 03-23-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

bczee I should have done Cardomain but I guess I am too lazy! The pan or cover will work out fine. As far as the gasket goes I will make my own either out of cork or rubber, not sure yet.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nova.. I used rubber on both sides of the Floor pan.
I built a frame that matches the shape of the cover, attached U-Nuts were the screw hole locations are. I then attached the frame to the under side of the floor pan. Then just screw the cover down from the inside. I used smaller round torq or hex headed screws to attach.
If I had better sheet metal forming skills, I think I would have made the cover with rounded edges.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My tank isn't baffled and it's never given me any grief, and it's an odd shape...it's behind the seat, vertical in the cab. Not very deep (front-to-back) so I don't need to worry about sloshing fuel on a drag run, but it's tall and very wide. I've run it down to where the gauge says empty (which, if this AutoMeter reads like the stock gauge did, is probably about 1/8 of a tank in reality) and it's fine.

I'm not even running an in-tank pump, either. However, paranoia has made me wonder if it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a small reserve tank (like 1/2 gallon or maybe even smaller) and feed that with a high volume, low pressure pump, much like my Volvo's stock fuel setup.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Teching In

awesome,, i'll give the stock tank a whirl

Quick Reply: non baffled tank?