Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 VS L76 intake on L92 heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 06:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS7 VS L76 intake on L92 heads

This is a question for the tech guys and Sponsors. Please do not answer with "I think.." as I don't want conjecture and I'm sure others at this forum don't either. It seems to me the new L76 and the LS7 intakes should both work on the new L92 heads, since these are supposed to be almost the same heads as the LS7 heads. Is this correct? And if so, which intake is superior? It seems the L76 peaks around 6k rpms and the LS7 intake might be better suited to a higher RPM range, maybe even higher (faster) flow.
Have done searches but nothing that compares the two specifically.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Ls7 intake will not fit on the L92 heads.

If it did, the LS7 is far superior for car applications.

There is a post with a side by side shot of the two heads, very different, bolt pattern wise. I am sure someone could modify a cast, carb style intake, but there would be no reason to, as a carb style is made for each.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
The Ls7 intake will not fit on the L92 heads.

If it did, the LS7 is far superior for car applications.

There is a post with a side by side shot of the two heads, very different, bolt pattern wise.
Right answer although it may be possible to severely modify an LS7 intake to fit.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Right answer although it may be possible to severely modify an LS7 intake to fit.
Has anyone tried this Kevin?? I think I remember someone saying that you couldn't. I think Richard at WCCH tried or something. I will see what I can find.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We're looking into the possibility machining a L92 head to fit the LS7 intake in the next few weeks. It's not going to be pretty. There is at least a .125" step at the roof due to the port height difference. Also the O ring seal of the LS7 intake will not cover the L92 port floor. A paper intake gasket may work.
Initial bench testing shows the LS7 intake improving overall runner flow of a ported L92 despite the step at the port roof. And the shorter runner length of the LS7 will make a much better setup for extending the upper rpm power capabilities of the L92 heads. If only GM would make a plastic LS7 style intake that would fit the L92s.............it would be a home run...........
I'll have more on this as soon as I finish the projects at hand.

Richard
Old 03-20-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
We're looking into the possibility machining a L92 head to fit the LS7 intake in the next few weeks. It's not going to be pretty. There is at least a .125" step at the roof due to the port height difference. Also the O ring seal of the LS7 intake will not cover the L92 port floor. A paper intake gasket may work.
Initial bench testing shows the LS7 intake improving overall runner flow of a ported L92 despite the step at the port roof. And the shorter runner length of the LS7 will make a much better setup for extending the upper rpm power capabilities of the L92 heads. If only GM would make a plastic LS7 style intake that would fit the L92s.............it would be a home run...........
I'll have more on this as soon as I finish the projects at hand.

Richard
My comment WAS based on discussions with Richard.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Name dropper

Quick Reply: LS7 VS L76 intake on L92 heads