Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end messed up again

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 07:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end messed up again

ok i just had a new 9 inch put in recently, unfortunately my mechanic who came highly recomended ended up being a piece of s..., im not sure what he installed wrong but after getting in a big fight with him because he was unable to complete my car i just towed it home, i put a few miles on it and it seemed to be kind of ok, it had a vibration at higher rpms and had a whine to it, i was hoping just the pinion angle was a little off, i havent had time to get it fixed or to really do anything with it, anyways i drove it a little bit here and there until yesterday i was taking the car to a friends house when out of no where i hear a wierd popping noise, then it sounded like i was dragging chains under my car, i pull over to inspect it and see nothing, however my rear end sounds like pop corn is going off inside of it, i baby it to a friends house a few 100 feet away goin 2 or 3 mph, during that time it sounds like a shower of metal coming from my rear, im not sure what i did this time, any ideas? and i know it was stupid driving it like this but i was so fed up with the thing that i just didnt care at the time
Old 03-21-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes, you're right, I think driving it was a bad idea since you weren't 100% sure that the install was done correctly. There's really no telling what is wrong with it until you take that rear cover off. That's a pretty expensive rear end to trash