Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Lockers on the street

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lockers on the street

Ok, so I am definetly goin with a 9", but I'm gonna piece it together myself cause it is WAY cheaper.

I have found a place with a great price on housing/axles packages. ALong with great pricing on everything else needed. So I can buy a couple pieces at a time instead of dropping $2500 all at once.

My only question is for the guys who are currently running a locker. I know they are cheaper & cheaper to replace if they do break, but here are a couple questions.

1) Do you like it??
2) Do you wish you had gone posi instead??
3) How annoying is it to actually drive one on the street??
4) Are they worth it in strength difference over a posi unit??
Old 03-21-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

If you are running a manual transmission, don't get it. If you have an auto, they are fine. They are a little noisy sometimes, but aren't bad.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:32 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The main problem with lockers is the noise. Coast-to-drive, and when they lock and unlock. They will be stronger than a posi though, with a spool being the strongest. I have driven them on the street, but I knew what I was getting into.
Low speed with a big cam and a manual, that little surge you might normally get can be noisy, autos buffer it more.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

Why not get it with a M6?? Could you please explain more.

I would think it would be better with a manual cause you can use the clutch to unload the rear around corners while in traffic. Isn't that how the lockers work? They lock up when you give it gas & apply load correct, but they unlock after letting out of it or pushing in the clutch??

I might be confused, I'm still learning all this stuff. So please bare with me.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:08 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The locking has nothing to do with when power is being delivered. They unlock when wheels speeds are different (turning) and lock when they are the same. A M6 doesnt have a torque converter to cushion the coast to drive, which makes them buck a little more and can make a locker more noisy.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

Well if its just noise thats the problem, I don't mind. With the radio & exhaust it shouldn't be too bad. Most my drive into work is highway anyway.

How bout driving them in the rain??