Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT header install / lift engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT header install / lift engine?

I am having trouble getting the car high enough in the air to get the pass header in. Anyone ever try lifting the engine a bit to make a little more room and droping the header in from the top? I have never lifted the engine before and don't know how much more room it will give you. I can get the header in pretty far in from the top now (removed coil packs and valve cover), and think I would only need about another inch or two to get it in. Their pacesetter LT and the instructions say to lift for the drivers side anyway. Any thought would be appreciated.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't need to lift the motor, and you need to put it on from the bottom.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:42 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

You can prop the back of the car up on blocks or something then max out your lift. Thats what I did and I had more then enough room to get the headers in.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

I put the rears on ramps, then the front on 12x12 railroad ties with ramps on top of them. Didn't have to get it any higher, they went right in.

-J
Old 03-21-2007, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

What kind of car do you have and what type of headers?... Because I dont care what these guys say, you can stand the car on its bumper and some headers will not go in. I have 02 Z-28 w/automatic I installed kooks long tubes and I had to take my motor mounts loose, dont worry just 4 bolts on each side.... easy to take loose. Then jack your motor up as high as you can get it slide them in.. a standard transmission has a smaller bell housing than a automatic tranny, so no matter how high up in the air I got the car it would not fit...

Last edited by Nemo02Z; 03-21-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

id say its worth a try if you cant get the car any higher
Old 03-21-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

M6 Formula with Pacesetters. Had to cut the casting tab off my motor that's it. My friend on the other hand had to get his sky high for his QTPs... Every car is different I guess

-J
Old 03-22-2007, 02:35 AM
Teching In

Christ ole Mighty how many times will the same question pop up ? Search my friend this subject has been Rhino F@#ked a trillion times !!! I'm a searchaphobe and that why I only have 20 sumptin post.

Just type in "header install" and I'm sure a shyt ton of threads will appera just before you eyes.

Drink beer, live life and be ****** HAPPY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 03:36 AM
On The Tree

SS3520 I'm installing some pacesetter LTs right now as well (99 SS M6). I worked for about 6 hours tonight from scratch, took off AIR and EGR then tore my stock Y-pipe out and got the passenger and drive side headers out. I havent messed with the passenger side one, but I can tell you that the driver side will not go in without shaving -some amount ill find out tomorrow- off of a portruding casting tab off the engine block. Unsure about the passenger side, but I did not have any problems on the drivers side after jacking my car up about 1.5 feet. Dont need too much clearance to get it into the engine bay (from the bottom of course, i wouldnt even have thought about dropping em in thats way too much effort methinks). Ill update this post hopefully tomorrow, maybe take some pics of how high i jacked my car up n stuffs.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have SLP LT's and those are a BITCH!!! to put in period!! But I never needed to lift the engine up. F.Y.I. ...If you do decide to lift up the engine,...It would be a good time to throw on some new polly motor mounts. Just a thought!
Old 03-22-2007, 05:27 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone said a long time ago that they were just going to park over the manhole in front of their house and just do it from the sewer!

I lol'd.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Someone said a long time ago that they were just going to park over the manhole in front of their house and just do it from the sewer!

I lol'd.
lol,..just for ***** and giggles I'd love to see a photo of someone do'n that. Thats called dedication!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Aight finished the header install just a few mins ago. Took me about 8 hours to take off the stock Y, stock headers, and put on the new headers. The passenger side stock header took about 4 hours But to answer the lifting question, my wheels were lifted about 18"-24" definitely no more than 2 feet. I have pictures comin soon, gonna run up to the muffler shop to get the new y- and lm2 on, then come back and upload some pics to show you how high it was.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Good job!....Hey,...lol!.......how much fun was the passenger side?!....

..... I spent twice the time installing those then I did the driver's side
Old 03-23-2007, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

passenger side took about 20 mins to install, drivers side took about an hour including the time it took to grind off the casting tab (with a dremel tool, that was really annoying). the only hard part of doing headers is taking off the passenger side header. if i was gonna do it over again id start with the driver's side header, that one was a lot easier to get and will set you up to know what youre doing on the passenger side. now that ive done it, i bet i can do a header turnaround in 2 hours with something better to cut off that casting tab on the driver's side. im gonna upload some pics to somewhere and show how high my car was up, it really doesnt need to be that high with pacesetters.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by PittHammer
Christ ole Mighty how many times will the same question pop up ? Search my friend this subject has been Rhino F@#ked a trillion times !!! I'm a searchaphobe and that why I only have 20 sumptin post.

Just type in "header install" and I'm sure a shyt ton of threads will appera just before you eyes.

Drink beer, live life and be ****** HAPPY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
" Searchaphobe"....HAHAHA--Love it. [should be in the up -and -coming "LSX Dictionary"]
Old 03-23-2007, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

The first and second pictures are the front passenger wheel. It is sitting on ramps now, but i took the picture after I got the headers in. So back when i had the car up high enough to install the headers it had that block of wood on top of the ramps lifting it up as well.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...07_14_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...07_15_full.jpg

This picture is from the front. Forgive me for waiting till after i took off the blocks to take the pic. The jack was low on hydraulic fluid, so i couldnt get the same size block on the drivers side as well.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...07_16_full.jpg
Old 03-23-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Good job...and I thought my back was killing me when I finished......and I used a lift...
Old 03-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Teching In

I'm done... I took the steering link off and the driver side went in with no problem. Pass was the one giving me the prob. I thought I had the car up pretty darn high and there was no way that thing was even close to going in. Next night I was able to get it about 2 inches higher and it went right in. I was pretty amazed that 2 inches went from not even close to slips right in.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Aye SS sorry about my little rant, was sipping on some Hi Octane "Patron" which me feelin a little Most times man you just need to step back and regroup.

Then it will just hit yah. You now have entered THE LSX MOD ZONE