Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New rotor installation ?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New rotor installation ?????

Trying to deal with a guy who is argueing with me on the direction drilled and slotted rotors face. Can someone help me out. A picture would be nice.

Thanks guys...
Old 03-22-2007, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its doesnt have anything to do with the way holes or slots are facing. Its the passages on the outer part that draw air in to the center. Ill try to find the link to the rotor manufacturers website for you.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

This is off brembo's website.

FAQ

Which direction should the discs rotate?

It is a popular misconception that the slots or drillings in a disc determine the direction of rotation. In truth, for an internally vented disc, the geometry of the vanes dictates the direction of rotation. There are three vane types in use:

Straight
Pillar vane (comprised of many small posts)

Curved vane
The first two vane types are non-directional, and can be used on either side of the vehicle. The curved vane disc, however, is directional. A curved vane disc must be installed with the vanes running back from the inside to outside diameters in the direction of rotation. Please see figure. Orienting the disc in the manner creates a centrifugal pump. The rotation of the disc causes air to be pumped from the center of the disc, through the vanes, and out through the outside diameter of the disc. This greatly enhances the disc's ability to dissipate heat.

Additionally, all of Brembo's slotted discs are directional as well, regardless of the vane geometry. The discs should be installed such that the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the disc contacts the pad first. Please see figure.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll check the vanes, to see how they are positioned... Thanks soo much for the help.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

No problem, glad I can help.