LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need help from the Pro's

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help from the Pro's

Ok guys here is the deal. Last summer my car started having a really bad misfire problem. I changed the plugs and wires but I was still miss-firing. About the same time as all of this was going down, some chunks of **** was coming out of my exhaust. While at an exhaust shop to get my CME welded up they told me that the problem was that my cats were clogged. So I had them put new cats on. That stopped the chunky **** from coming out, but it was still laggy and miss-firing. The shop guy told me that I would need new 02 sensors. Seeing as how the car just hit 80K I figured it would be ok to go ahead and do it. He got them all but one on the drivers side. This cleared up ALLLLLOT of the lag for about 5 minutes then the car started getting shitty again. Next I decided to do the plugs and wires again. That didn't help at all. So right about now I'm figuring it can only be the opti. I picked up an MSD cap and rotor and changed it. During the installation though, my dad dropped the paper thin gear thing that was inside of the unit. We got everything back on, and the car was STILL missing. I took it to a shop and their scanner said my MAF was bad, and that I was having a miss-fire on my number 7 cylinder. I changed the wires and plugs AGAIN. This time I used Taylor wires, and better plugs. STILL A FRIGGIN MISSFIRE on my number 7!!! I honestly don't know what my problem is. Could it be related to my dad dropping that little gear thing?

I have been planning on buying Delteq, a new SLP MAF, and getting that last 02 fixed this week. The only problem is I don't want to spend a ton of money only to have my problem still go unresolved. My friend told me that my cylinder could have gone bad, does this sound right? I really think I'm just having bad luck with the plugs and ****, but if anyone knows anything PLEASE let me know A.S.A.P so I don't blow money on stuff I don't need.

Oh yeah, It's also important to note that some of the plug wires wont "click" into the msd unit. They stay in but wont make that click sound. Could I have gotten a bad unit from MSD? Also, The car runs pretty good for like 5 minutes then goes to hell. When I drive it shifts really fuggin strong, and pops like a bitch when I start moving. Thanks for any help guys, cause I really need it.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am no pro, but Have you look at your injectors on the #7.?
Old 03-21-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Yes I forgot to mention that, all my injectors are running perfectly. I tested everyone including the 7 and its working perfectly. Thanks
Old 03-21-2007, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Well, if the car runs decent for a couple of minutes, then it could be an issue of when it switches over into closed loop. In closed loop operation, the O2's are being used. Since I doubt you have logging software to check the O2's, try switching the front O2's (switch sides with them). If the problem switches sides, then you've found the issue. Also, pull the wires off of the opti and pull them through the boot a little more until you can get them to snap on. I like mine sticking just a little bit past the boot. As for the injectors, did you have them flow tested or did you just make sure they were pulsing? Could be a piece of dirt in there, restricting flow. Either way, a spark plug analysis would tell the story.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

How is the EGR working????
Old 03-21-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Ive never tested the EGR. I did replace the intake manifold gasket about 2 months before all my problems. I did not replace the EGR gasket though, I just reused what I had cause it wasn't damaged or anything.

As far as the boots go, I tried with the boots completely removed. Some clicked some didn't.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

If the EGR is **** it will make the car run like ****, also try the MAF thing too^^
Old 03-22-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Bump, anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 03-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Well, you didn't really respond to much in my post, but I'll ask how the plugs look. Can you tell that you are getting a misfire on cylinder #7 (by looking at the spark plug)? Did you consider switching the front O2's, like I already suggested?
Old 03-22-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

I will try to switch them, though I seriously think its is an optispark issue. My brothers car did the exact same thing but he has coils. We changed his coils and everything was great. This is why I was considering getting a delteq system.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

I would rule out the OT's like stated above, then do a compresion test. Common sense says to make sure cylinder #7 is in proper working order before blaming the ignition system.

Quick Reply: Need help from the Pro's