LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

what do i need to tune my car

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do i need to tune my car

i did a search first off.I know i need the tune and every thing but besides that. Do i really need a wide band and if so where do i get one and do i really need a data logger and what do they do. and what about lap tops. please i am totoally new at this and im already geting confused on what i need to get started. thanks for all the help in advance.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Teching In

somebody gotta know something.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I would like to know also. Wanna do it all myself. Because I dont have much time to wait for the pcm to be sent out and then come back.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

you need the aldl cable, a computer (laptop is the easiest obviously), software (tunercats, lt1edit, tts datamaster). A wideband is ideal if not necessary since you need to know if you are running lean or rich. But when i got my car tuned on the dyno it went up to 175mph or so. So you will need a long stretch of road and that seems a bit crazy to me. I think you would only be able to do some light tuning without knowing what you are doing. the alternative im sure you know, is get it dyno'd (the best route) and tuned, or use one of the mail in tuners. since they have been doing it for a long time, they can just send you a code they know works
Old 03-22-2007, 09:39 PM
Teching In

well we really dont have anybody who dyno tunes lt1's around here but since i have an lt1 scanmaster do i still need a data logger and a wideband?
Old 03-23-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

those would give you better data to work with and more precise measurements of your A/F ratio. so they would all in all aid you in creating a better tune. Or so I would think.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

I would leave it to someone who knows what they are doing. Unless you are going to buy a dyno I would either find a place to tune it, or just get a mail order tune.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bandit95LT1
well we really dont have anybody who dyno tunes lt1's around here but since i have an lt1 scanmaster do i still need a data logger and a wideband?

get datamaster and tunercats.

where are you located?
Old 03-23-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wkniffin98ss
I would leave it to someone who knows what they are doing. Unless you are going to buy a dyno I would either find a place to tune it, or just get a mail order tune.
You can dyno your vehicle without a dyno. You need to know the exact weight and a few other factors to get accurate power numbers but when you're dyno tuning exact numbers don't matter, change in numbers does. I hope to create a peice of software that will take a datalog from freescan and present you with a dyno graph based on a section of it where you did hard acceleration within the next few months. This should be enough to assist with tuning. Datamaster also comes with this functionality built in.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LiENUS
Datamaster also comes with this functionality built in.
I was about to say that. I have to log the car next time i go to the track once i get my racetronix pump. Stock pump craps out at about 4500 and the car goes super lean.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by C_Rules
I was about to say that. I have to log the car next time i go to the track once i get my racetronix pump. Stock pump craps out at about 4500 and the car goes super lean.
It should be a farely accurate picture of the power curve shape as long as you dont spin the tires. doing it from a roll in first from 2000 rpm up to redline should give you a decent picture of the power curve, though you wont know anything about the data bellow 2000 rpm.

Quick Reply: what do i need to tune my car