Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 5.3 in my 66 truck and my autometers

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 05 5.3 in my 66 truck and my autometers

I recently put a 05 L33 all aluminum 310H.P. 5.3 in my 66 C/10. I have run into some problems with the tach and the speedo. The main problem is that all of the guage wires for the 05 are serial ported and the guage sender wont read the signal. I have sent the tach to autometer twice and they still cant get the damn thing to work. They converted the tach to a 5 volt square wave that is supposed to read the 05 signal but still nothing. The programmable speedo soesnt seem to be picking up the speed sensor either. I had no problem with temp, oil pressure, and fuel just the other two. Any of you guys had this problem? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:59 AM
Teching In

I cant help you with your questions, but was wondering what you did for your exhaust, did you use headers??

Graham

Last edited by fastrucken; 03-22-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:22 AM
Teching In

Sweet truck, I miss my ol' '62 that I had in high school,283 4sp saginaw stump pullin gears, couldnt afford gas in that thing. Can't help with your ? sorry, just wanted to comment on your truck.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huh... Thats strange. Did they change the outputs of all of that stuff for the 05 models???

I woudl think that the tach would work without issue. The speedo should work too. But did you try hooking the speedo up to through the PCM or directly off of the speed sensor? Because they should be two different outputs. I hooked my speedo through the PCM and it worked (99 f-body harness), and I was told it should have worked through the speed sensor as well. And the tach just comes off the PCM too. Also, Im pretty sure the gauges in the 99 were serial data as well...

Have you talked to someone like John from Speartech about this? He might have some insight into whats going on...

Justin
Old 03-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kdawgmfic
Sweet truck, I miss my ol' '62 that I had in high school,283 4sp saginaw stump pullin gears, couldnt afford gas in that thing. Can't help with your ? sorry, just wanted to comment on your truck.
Thanks!!
My truck had a 283/350 combo and you arent lying bout being gas hogs!! The 5.3/4l60 combo gets well over 20 on the highway
Old 03-22-2007, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fastrucken
I cant help you with your questions, but was wondering what you did for your exhaust, did you use headers??

Graham
Had to stick with the stock manifolds. As usual I went over budget and so they will have to wait. With a very slight trim on the drivers side frame rail they fit no problem.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Huh... Thats strange. Did they change the outputs of all of that stuff for the 05 models???

I woudl think that the tach would work without issue. The speedo should work too. But did you try hooking the speedo up to through the PCM or directly off of the speed sensor? Because they should be two different outputs. I hooked my speedo through the PCM and it worked (99 f-body harness), and I was told it should have worked through the speed sensor as well. And the tach just comes off the PCM too. Also, Im pretty sure the gauges in the 99 were serial data as well...

Have you talked to someone like John from Speartech about this? He might have some insight into whats going on...

Justin
The tech I have been dealing with at autometer said that they changed all of the outputs for the trucks in 03. The serial data if I understood correctly became much more complex. (This is just what I was told and am not stating it to be fact.) There are individual wires for the speed sensor and the tach from the PCM but the guages arent recognizing either of them. I am sending the guages back up to them because the conclusion we are coming to is that they must have not got them programmed at the right settings the first time.
Steven

Quick Reply: 05 5.3 in my 66 truck and my autometers