Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, apparently AIR is different in 01-02 than in 1999....

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default So, apparently AIR is different in 01-02 than in 1999....

All I want is a set of damn coated, non-emissions Pacesetter headers.

Apparently there's some big backorder. I ordered them 2 1/2 weeks ago from a sponsor and finally called them to see where they were - that's when they told me they were on backorder. I was pissed that I wasn't informed about this earlier, or at all (until I called)...I am trying to make a big race on April 6th and I wanted to have plenty of time to get them in, and get to a couple test and tunes beforehand.

Anyway so I cancel the order after I decide I don't want to keep waiting. I buy them locally from someone. At least they are honest and tell me there's a big backorder on the race ones. Screw it, I decide. I think I am going to be smart and order 01-02 headers for my 1999, thinking it won't have EGR fittings (I have an LS6 intake manifold).

I have owned a '01 Z28, a '00 Z28, and now my formula is a '99. While all of them had AIR, I guess I never really paid too much attention to it. When I installed my 01-02 headers on my '99, I discovered that: a) the air tube on the front passengers side is oriented different than factory b) the air tube on the drivers side is on a different primary than the factory and c) there is a random ***** air tube on the passenger side, I have no idea where it goes and can't remember what my '01 looked like.

So, that's what I get for trying to be smart....more wait time
Old 03-21-2007, 11:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess there isn't a lot of information on the subject because most people delete the AIR system by the time they're putting on headers anyways. But I guess the EGR bung isn't the only reason why when you order a set they specify which year your car is.

I just installed my headers last week and made a mental note that the AIR blockoff plate was in a completely different location on my LT's than on my original headers. Why aren't you deleting your AIR and getting the car tuned anyways? Even if there is no tune, the car won't have a SES light except for a few minutes after startup.

Looks like you sold your Corvette finally. Welcome back to the side

Edit: You can kinda see the difference in this pic. On the long tubes, the AIR tube is sticking out to the left of the left most primary. On the original header, you can see the bung right below the 2nd from the left's primary.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by B.W.

I just installed my headers last week and made a mental note that the AIR blockoff plate was in a completely different location on my LT's than on my original headers. Why aren't you deleting your AIR and getting the car tuned anyways? Even if there is no tune, the car won't have a SES light except for a few minutes after startup.
Well I wanted to delete AIR, but like I said the race ones seem to be on backorder everywhere, so I was just trying to make do with emissions headers.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

Cant you get blackoff plates for the headers you got now?
Old 03-22-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by =Tac=
Cant you get blackoff plates for the headers you got now?
I could, but I don't really want three blockoff plates on there. Not to mention if you don't have the other side of the hose/pipe connected to it, there is no damping and the vibration makes the little pipe susceptible to breaking off.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:24 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by keliente
c) there is a random ***** air tube on the passenger side, I have no idea where it goes
You're talking about the air tube between cyl. 4 & 6 right ? I have been wondering (for the last 2 years) why that air tube is there.
I have an 01' with the Pacesetter emission LT's, I'm using block off plates. If I'm not mistaken I believe the headers p/n cover 2000-2002. I thought this was there for the 00' year because there was no air tube in that location on my 01' stock manifold, it's up at the front tube. So I actually have 2 block off plates on that side. The problem is that extra tube makes getting to the spark plug almost impossible. I should have just got the non-emissions headers right off the bat.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:31 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

We have the race style Pacesetters in stock! Call if you want to get them coming!! We have 2 sets left!

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 03-22-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SLPSS01
You're talking about the air tube between cyl. 4 & 6 right ? I have been wondering (for the last 2 years) why that air tube is there.
I have an 01' with the Pacesetter emission LT's, I'm using block off plates. If I'm not mistaken I believe the headers p/n cover 2000-2002. I thought this was there for the 00' year because there was no air tube in that location on my 01' stock manifold, it's up at the front tube. So I actually have 2 block off plates on that side. The problem is that extra tube makes getting to the spark plug almost impossible. I should have just got the non-emissions headers right off the bat.
Yeah - that's the one. Very strange. I had a 2000 car that I put headers on (race). I'm looking through some old engine photos, but I don't see that tube on the stock manifolds either. Weird!

Matt @ SDPC - thanks for the offer! I basically just started at the top of the LS1tech advertisements and went down until I got a hit. I ordered them from Speed Engineering, they told me they should be here Monday.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:43 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Glad they got you taken care of. Let me know if I can help in the future!

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 03-22-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

I take it your are going to be at the Rock on April 7