Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter Erratic after Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 01:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converter Erratic after Build

Just had AFR 205 Heads installed with a 228/228 114 lsa cam and having several problems.

1) Shortly after picking up car after heads / cam / tune, nailed it at wot and ses light started flashing. Stopped, ses light went out, hit wot again and ses came back on, however, it didnt flash. ses code P0305, cylinder 5 misfire. Needless to say, car ran like crap due to misfire.

2) Torque Converter, TCI SSF 3500 stall seems to now be locking and unlocking at higher rpms, especially at wot. Sporadic locking makes mph jump up and down.

3) Cant get the ses P0305 code corrected. Swapped wire, swapped out plug, checked coil connections, injector connections, nothing cures ses code or cures #1 or #2 above.

Tuner and installer is quite competent, while tuning and dyno run observed the torque converter problem and didnt push the tune.... basically got it up to 410 rwhp and didnt push it any harder.
Tuner also suggested converter was likely fried and shot. Suggested stock injectors need to be upgraded. After I recover from cost of head and cam install, I will deal with these recomendations.

What is pissing me off right now is the misfire and my inability to cure the ses P0305 code... any suggestions? Mods are shown in link.

http://heartless.us/35LESSModsindex.html

Old 03-22-2007, 06:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any misfire code will cause the converter not to lock up. Whatever is causing the misfire is the problem, I don't think the converter is the root cause. If you changed plugs and wires, Then look at the fuel injectors or coil. You really shouldn't be running stock one's anyways. Didn't they notice the issue when they dyno tuned it?

I'm making similar power through a SSF 3500 and I'm running svo 30lb injectors. Definitely get injectors. And post up a graph if you can w/ A/F.