Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 08:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam Position Sensor

Does anyone have a write up for how to change this. I know I have to remove the intake but where is it on the block and what do I need to change it out. That damn thing better be made out of gold for the price of the stupid thing. I am getting an SES light and it is for the CPS (P0342). Plus yesterday I go to start my car and it would turn over fine but wouldn't start. I kept trying to start it and finally it started up real rough and then it was smooth. This morning it did the same thing. I have been having the same code throw after a hard rain every now and then and then it would go away (P0342). I think it has finally gone out now. Does this sound like the problem to everyone else?
Old 03-22-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

It is right behind the manifold on the top of the block and is held into the block with a single bolt. Just remove this bolt and pull the sensor out with your hand. Very easy.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

It's in the back of the block right. So I have to pull the intake and then reach back there and it should be right at the top? Sounds easy enough now if I can just get the damned sensor.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah the sensor is on the top of the block right behind the intake. It is right there and very easy to get out. My 3 year old could get it out if i asked him to.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Regular

Just now found the sensor and will be picking it up after work. Do I have to pull the whole manifold off or just unbolt it and slide it forward a bit. I have never changed one of these damn things before. I have an LS6 intake that I am painting now and if I have to pull the whole damned intake then I will just wait until my LS6 is finished and bolt it on instead. If I just have to pull it out a little then it will be changed tonight. I hate my fat arms.

Quick Reply: Cam Position Sensor