Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange 12-Bolt..New bearings and seals...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Strange 12-Bolt..New bearings and seals...

Hey all. Ive had a weird noise coming from my Strange 12-bolt ever since I swapped it into my car. Previous owner had an unfortunate encounter with a curb, and I think some of the bearings my have gotten tweaked.

Its a growling noise, that seems to get faster and louder with my speed. It only makes the noise from about 45-50 on up. After looking into axle noises, growling usually indicates a bearing issue.

Since the axle dosent owe me anything (came in donor car) I decided to refresh the whole thing. SO I got all new bearings for the pinion, carrier, and axles.

Im not new to working on axles. Ive re-geared probably 15 of them in my lifetime. Mostly Jeep axles and Ford 8.8s. But Ive never JUST replaced bearings before.

Can I just tear the axle down, remove and replace the bearings, and slap it all back together? Basically the only thing I have to set is the pinion pre-load using the spec for new bearings correct? I should have to run a pattern or mess with shims or anything...

I will however be checking for a bent axle shaft/wheel flange, and I will probably run a pattern just to be on the safe side. I was just looking for input from guys that have just replaced bearings without doing a re-gear or anything..

Thanks for any input everyone!

Justin