Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Ring flutter w/ deleted PCV??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 11:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ring flutter w/ deleted PCV??

alright you guys.... with the deletion of the pcv am i going to develop some ring flutter??? guy on a local board brought it up and i figured id ask some people more experience solely on LSX engines?
Old 03-22-2007, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is ring flutter and how do you know if a motor has it? I went PCV-less for a year.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never heard of the lack of PCV causing ring flutter. From my experience, it has been caused by too large of tolerances and too many rpms.

"Piston ring flutter occurs when the piston rings change direction so quickly that they are forced from their seat on the ring land and the cylinder walls, resulting in a loss of cylinder sealing and power as well as possible breakage of the ring."
Old 03-22-2007, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

Hrmmmmm...
Old 03-22-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Without PCV and no breather you will experience a lot of blowby past the rings and more wear on engine internals to include seals.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by brad8266
Without PCV and no breather you will experience a lot of blowby past the rings and more wear on engine internals to include seals.
im running a breather...... two of them
Old 03-22-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LostCauseZ06
im running a breather...... two of them
Then youre good to go.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The amount of blow by does not change. It just never gets out of the engine and all the combustion by-products, including water, contaminate your oil fast.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by thunderdan74
The amount of blow by does not change. It just never gets out of the engine and all the combustion by-products, including water, contaminate your oil fast.
It will lead to parts wear very much faster, to inlcude rings, so the blowby will be increased quickly.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:17 AM
11 Second Club

It will lead to parts wear very much faster, to inlcude rings, so the blowby will be increased quickly.

umm... its not going to wear out parts more quickly if you change your oil more often...

im not asking if its going to wear stuff out, im asking particularly about ring flutter. Some of the "book smart" old school guys who arent really hands on seem to think im going to get ring flutter running without a PCV system hooked up. I just wanted to get some ideas from you guys because i had never heard of it being a problem with LS1's, or any other newer generation engine either.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Im sorry I forgot you are running a breather again. Yeah it wont wear out parts as long as the pressure has somewhere to go. I have never heard on the ring flutter with no PCV thing and I doubt it is true.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

Im sorry I forgot you are running a breather again. Yeah it wont wear out parts as long as the pressure has somewhere to go. I have never heard on the ring flutter with no PCV thing and I doubt it is true.
k cool, i talked to a couple vendors and they said the only time they have experienced ring flutter was with some heavy detonation, which i could totally see happening.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have read a few different articles on ring flutter and all say that crank case pressure does amplify the ring flutter problem quite a bit. Im no expert on this subject by any means and I cannot explain in detail why it does but it does makes sense when you think about it. Also, the combustion chamber air/fuel contamination from the exsessive blow by is something also to consider. Some have reported major gains with simply bolting a vacuum pump and running negative crank case pressures.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
Some have reported major gains with simply bolting a vacuum pump and running negative crank case pressures.
^^This is the ticket. Its negative crankcase pessure that helps the rings seal. And helps the seals seal too. Damn near ALL drag race motors run some sort of vacuum pump. Good engine builders also do things to make sure the oil draining down from the top isnt fighting pressure coming up. A PCV does alot more than remove blowby. Its the vacuum that helps the ring seal that actually REDUCES blowby. ALL engines, street or race, should have negative crankcase pressure.
As far as ring flutter, I would think that if you have enough clearance for the rings to actually flutter, you got more problems than just the PCV.
You also have to consider that taper face rings with an inside bevel, are made to **** it the ringland slightly. This is especially true for taper face second rings. One an upstroke, they have less drag, and upon reversing direction, **** slightly and use the bottom edge of the ring to "scrape" the oil off the cyl wall.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd like to see a picture of an f-body engine bay with a vaccuum pump. I read a dyno post or something and one of the things that they did was to add one of these pumps but he said that it was messy which I really didn't understand. He said that he removed it and it made no difference. Would one of these pumps improve or hurt driveability with a big cam that experiences bucking/surging between 1800RPM and 2000RPM in a steady speed situation despite 100's of hours of tunning?

Quick Reply: Ring flutter w/ deleted PCV??