Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

what to do while motor is out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 04:24 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do while motor is out?

well my motor is out of the car and i used simple green to clean it up nicely. i cleaned the wheel wells and painted them black along with a couple other things so it doesnt look dull gray. i plan on doing the wire mod but i want to do something else to spiff it up too but im not sure really what to do to give it some shine, waxing didnt do anything because there is no clear coat.

any ideas what i should do to make it nicer

Old 03-22-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

i dont know what to tell you about paint, but i love the import quote lol!!
Old 03-22-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Along with doing the wire mod, you might want to look into hiding as many of the ground wires as possible. That usually leads to a clean look.

Also if I ever were to have my motor out, I plan on putting some of that fireproof sound deadening along the firewall and the tranny tunnel. Not sure if thats something you would want to look into. Other than the basic cleaning and stuff, nothing really comes quickly to mind...
Old 03-22-2007, 04:35 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00CaliforniaZ28
I would probably route wires to make them as hidden as possible when the motor is back in. Now would be a great time to do that, especially the !wire mod, that should be cakewalk with the motor out.

Also if I ever were to have my motor out, I plan on putting some of that fireproof sound deadening along the firewall and the tranny tunnel. Not sure if thats something you would want to look into. Other than the basic cleaning and stuff, nothing really comes quickly to mind...
wire mod is the only way i know to hide some wires, im not sure what i could do with the cluster **** of **** on the driver side.

car is not a daily driver anymore, its going to be a track car/weekend warrior, so im not going to do the sound deadening, trying to get rid of all the unessacary weight i can.

i found that import quote on a mustang forum, lol. i thought it was hilarious, i had to put it in my sig
Old 03-22-2007, 04:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I ever have my motor out, you can bet your *** the entire engine bay is getting clearcoated.....no better time to do it and looks 100000x's better.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

CLEARCOAT!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 04:47 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jbuerke142
CLEARCOAT!!!
i was thinking that, but im not sure how if i should take the car to somebody to do, because i dont trust myself.

hell, my dads friend works at a body shop and he could do it in his garage, so maybe i should see it he could do it for me, but i need to take everything out of the engine bay
Old 03-22-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JDP
wire mod is the only way i know to hide some wires, im not sure what i could do with the cluster **** of **** on the driver side.

car is not a daily driver anymore, its going to be a track car/weekend warrior, so im not going to do the sound deadening, trying to get rid of all the unessacary weight i can.
Well there are a lot of wires that are ground to bolts that are highly visible. You can move these grounds to bolts that will be out of view when the engine is back in. Example would be the ground thats going to your passenger shock tower, or the ground wire on the front of the engine bay. Just throwing some ideas out there for ya! I know what you most be going through.... its like, "****, I have this huge obstruction out of the way, and look at all that room to work, but ****, what do I work on!"
Old 03-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Save yourself some money and go Flintstones mod. woot woot!
Old 03-22-2007, 07:42 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00CaliforniaZ28
Well there are a lot of wires that are ground to bolts that are highly visible. You can move these grounds to bolts that will be out of view when the engine is back in. Example would be the ground thats going to your passenger shock tower, or the ground wire on the front of the engine bay. Just throwing some ideas out there for ya! I know what you most be going through.... its like, "****, I have this huge obstruction out of the way, and look at all that room to work, but ****, what do I work on!"
ya, ill see what i can do, good thinking. its just the driver side has all that damn mumbo jumbo wiring cluttered up. i want it to look perfect, but i dont think thats going to happen.

**** it, ill do what i can, keep the ideas coming peoples

thanks
Old 03-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Teching In

hell i would take all the heater stuff out if it were a track car
Old 03-22-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Sound it down, fill in all the holes and seams and paint it again.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:30 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

^^^ good god that looks ****, want to take the time and come do mine? how much would that run me to have somebody do it? maybe i could get my friends dad to take the time to do that to my car, im sure he will want a good amount of money for something like that
Old 03-22-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

definately paint it and hide all wires, if its going to be a track car get rid of all the crap you dont need for daily driver and it will look amazin
Old 03-22-2007, 09:39 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

i want to still keep the heat for those chilly nights in the fall when im out for late night "car shows" but i plan on getting rid of the abs eventually and ill see what else i could do to hide the wires
Old 04-13-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

i used a spray can to paint the engine bay. got the idea from blown383 member. it looks really good,clear was added to the paint. i can email pics and name of the company i got it from.

Quick Reply: what to do while motor is out?