Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Identify my problem, please. Sound clip

Old 03-23-2007, 08:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Identify my problem, please. Sound clip

I've got a stock 10 bolt on a '01 Formula. The rear suspension is all rod ended, so it transmits noise a lot...

Problems:
  • It makes this noise...
    Sound clip

• Under hard turns, I can hear my driver's side rotor making contact with something and squealing a bit.

• I haven't measured it, but the wheels have a bit of play in and out.

C-clips wearing out, maybe? Bad differential? Bad bearings? All of the above?

I found some related threads, but I want to be as sure of the problem as possible...
Old 03-23-2007, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

Sounds to me like a bad bearing. Probably a outer axle bearing, which could explain why the rotor is rubbing during turns. C clip axles will have a tiny bit of play in them because of the design, but it's really small probably in the 1/32" range. I would assume that the rotor is rubbing the dust plate, should be easy to check w/ the wheel off. Also check to see if your axle has any side to side/up down play in it. That's a good indicator of a severely worn bearing.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WS6WRX
Sounds to me like a bad bearing. Probably a outer axle bearing, which could explain why the rotor is rubbing during turns. C clip axles will have a tiny bit of play in them because of the design, but it's really small probably in the 1/32" range. I would assume that the rotor is rubbing the dust plate, should be easy to check w/ the wheel off. Also check to see if your axle has any side to side/up down play in it. That's a good indicator of a severely worn bearing.
I won't be able to check play up and down until this afternoon. I thought I had checked that once before and found that it had no play up and down. Assuming it doesn't have any, what else could the problem be?

In and out play is definitely more then ~1/32".
Old 03-23-2007, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Well, upon further inspection, the wheels don't have much play when pushing and pulling them to and from the axle. Grabbing them at six and 12 o'clock and testing play up and down is the same story.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:21 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found my bad axle bearing b/c I am OCD to the MAXX and heard it. It made a whining at 65-70mph and on corners slightly. We caught it before it messed up the axle. There was only a shiny spot on the bearing, enough to make noise I guess. Guy who did it is ASE Master cert. and said the axles were fine. Great to have good friends, $75 for everything (Plus parts)

EDIT: Checked mine for play and found nothing odd. Bad bearing nonetheless. The point at which you feel play is the point at which you need to give Moser a call...

Last edited by BLKWS.6; 03-25-2007 at 01:28 PM.

Search this Thread