LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Do not buy March 2 piece pulley set!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do not buy March 2 piece pulley set!!!

Alright, just a warning for all LT1 owners. The March 2 piece pulley set will break your timing chain. Yes, it will break your timing chain. It has to do with the fact that there is no balancer or something...I know this is true, because i had the march set on my car and within 2 months my timing chain broke. At first, i thought my timing chain was old and maybe it just broke...So, i never thought about the march. Then after my car getting fixed, my pulley was a little bent, so i couldn't re-use it. I had my stock one back on and the car ran fine. Well, i took the March UD pulley back to where i bought it to see if they would replace it. (i explained the situation) They did and i got a new March UD pulley. (this was about 6months later) I never thought about taking the pulley back until a buddy of mine said i probably could...Anyway, i had it put on and within 2months of it being on, boom, my timing chain broke again. I'm telling you guys, whether it makes sense or not, the March 2 piece UD pulley set causes your timing chain to break...

Do not buy it and F*ck you March.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

so your saying there is actually an UD pulley kit that takes the balancer off the engine, well its a no brainer why it broke then the purpose of the harmonic balancer is to take harmonics out of the crankshaft which is then transfered to the timing chain and cam
Old 03-23-2007, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you bolt the stock dampner to the march pulley or take it off all together?
Old 03-23-2007, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I might be missing something here but the March UD pulley set is supposed to be a piggy back style where it still retains the stock balancer...If you used it with just the pulley and took off your balancer, you caused the problem, not March...I'm sure other March users will chime in...I don't know first hand because I have an ASP pulley/balancer combo...But I thought March was a "sandwich" style system...

--Alan
Old 03-23-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, you are supposed to take the pully and bolt it in between the harmonic balancer and the crank hub.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by plaf713
yeah, you are supposed to take the pully and bolt it in between the harmonic balancer and the crank hub.
Yeah I hope he did that. I would kick my own *** X2 if not.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

dee-dee-dee
Old 03-23-2007, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

Pics????

Im lost as to what happened.

I have a UD pulley (Iv never put it on) but it is supposed to bolt up to the stock pulley holder With the 3 bolt.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Yes then the stock damper bolts on to new UD pulley
Old 03-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

do people know how to read directions? If that is the case then no wonder the chain broke. ABA383 how do you like the ASP balancer/pulley combination? I was planning on purchasing one when i do a rebuild.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I loved mine! I think its the best money spent on a LT1....besides Long tubes and True Duals.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rbobryk20
do people know how to read directions? If that is the case then no wonder the chain broke. ABA383 how do you like the ASP balancer/pulley combination? I was planning on purchasing one when i do a rebuild.
I put it on in 1996 before dynos were the norm...It has worked great all these years and the motor feels like it revs faster, but I can't say for sure if its worth anything...At the time I figured that every little hp is a hp...I'd love to have done before and after dyno testing with it...Its definitely a good quality piece...

--Alan
Old 03-23-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have had my March 2 piece UD pulley on my for about 3 years.

Here is a pic for the original poster. This is how its supposed to look after you finish installing the march kit

The balancer is there to take the end play out of the crank without it the crank hub would move up and down causing the chain to unstretch then stretch and again and again, that causes metal fatigue and BAM! broken chain
Old 03-23-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ouch!!
Old 03-23-2007, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
I have had my March 2 piece UD pulley on my for about 3 years.

Here is a pic for the original poster. This is how its supposed to look after you finish installing the march kit

The balancer is there to take the end play out of the crank without it the crank hub would move up and down causing the chain to unstretch then stretch and again and again, that causes metal fatigue and BAM! broken chain

how do you like your MSD opti
Old 03-23-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z 2 8
Alright, just a warning for all LT1 owners. The March 2 piece pulley set will break your timing chain. Yes, it will break your timing chain. It has to do with the fact that there is no balancer or something...I know this is true, because i had the march set on my car and within 2 months my timing chain broke. At first, i thought my timing chain was old and maybe it just broke...So, i never thought about the march. Then after my car getting fixed, my pulley was a little bent, so i couldn't re-use it. I had my stock one back on and the car ran fine. Well, i took the March UD pulley back to where i bought it to see if they would replace it. (i explained the situation) They did and i got a new March UD pulley. (this was about 6months later) I never thought about taking the pulley back until a buddy of mine said i probably could...Anyway, i had it put on and within 2months of it being on, boom, my timing chain broke again. I'm telling you guys, whether it makes sense or not, the March 2 piece UD pulley set causes your timing chain to break...

Do not buy it and F*ck you March.
U R DUM. You broke your own timing chain by not not reusing the balancer with the March pulley. I feel so bad for you.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:04 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Let's not flame Z 2 8, he made a mistake. We've all made mistakes, great and small. Sometimes, it's the best teacher.

So dude, did you mount the stock damper on the March UD pulley? It looks as if you didn't, you're lucky you didn't cause more damage.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:31 PM
KTM
On The Tree

Harmonic balancers are hugely important for taking harmonics out....but on the LT1 motors - isn't it also a contributing member to the actual rotational balancing of the engine?..like the 400 small block chevys ? I know the flywheel/flexplate is part of the balancing on LT1's- as they have a weight stuck to them. Guess I'm assuming the balancer is to, since it is on the 400's...haven't actually looked that closely to see if it is offset weighted though..
Old 03-23-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onephatZ28
how do you like your MSD opti
Its amazing. It got pretty wet and nothing, no problems.
Only problem was getting that stupid oring to sit correctly.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KTM
Harmonic balancers are hugely important for taking harmonics out....but on the LT1 motors - isn't it also a contributing member to the actual rotational balancing of the engine?..like the 400 small block chevys ? I know the flywheel/flexplate is part of the balancing on LT1's- as they have a weight stuck to them. Guess I'm assuming the balancer is to, since it is on the 400's...haven't actually looked that closely to see if it is offset weighted though..
Im not sure about that, I always thought the LT1s were internally balanced, the reason there is weights on those pieces is to radially balance those parts, kinda like how you balance your rims. But conversely you could be correct and it does need that.

Quick Reply: Do not buy March 2 piece pulley set!!!