Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got headers installed today, questions/problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got headers installed today, questions/problems

first off, heres the installed pic...:

ok, so i bought the mac mids off a member on here, the headers were used, but he bought them that way, and never installed them. they came with the y-pipe.

turns out that the headers were 3" at the flange, but the y-pipe was 2.5" at that flange, so theres a leak. is this common with mad headers, is it maybe not mac y-pipe?

I also had the shop change my PS spark plug wires.

aside from the nasty raspy sound from the exhaust leak (which is getting fixed next week) my power steering is now not as good as before it went in, and its hard to tell if the car is more powerful. doesnt feel like a miss or anything, and doesnt feel sluggish, but i expected a noticeable increase on power going from stock manifolds and y-pipe. it might just be that im bothered by the leak.

so what could be the steering issue? anything that gets disconnected for the header or plug wire installed that might not have been reconnected? the level looks good.

also, when im at idle, my car diesels, er i should say, its plays a loud low tone. sounds like i have loud subs, but the stereo was off. any clue on that? is that normal with mids?
Old 03-23-2007, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh, heres the bad fitment of the two pipes:
Old 03-23-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow thats a horrible fit..get that fixed and it should feel better in terms of power....bad enough exhaust leaks can rob horsepower
Old 03-23-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

sometimes if you can tap that flange with a hammer you can get them to seal. Just go around the entire flange and knock the socket into the ball section. I have also had luck with red rtv on these. Im installing a set on my car now and will be using v band clamps.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:03 PM
11 Second Club

id loosen the flange and get it straighter."no waitt"id take it back to the retard that left it thaat way