Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

BFG Drag Radial Unstable at speed! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BFG Drag Radial Unstable at speed! Help!

Today during a little spirited driving I did a lane change at about 80 mph, not real abrupt but just a regular lane change. . . . . the rear end of the car felt llike it just started floating, I mean it was pretty scary! Is this just the nature of the BFG Drag radials? or is there something wrong with my rear suspension? Before putting on the drag radials I could change a lane in the same manner and the car would feel like it was glued to the road. I do need the traction of a drag radial but I don't like that feeling at all. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Old 03-24-2007, 07:24 PM
12 Second Club

what was the tire psi set at? that could be the reason. I run mine M/T drag radials @ 30 on street and 18/22 on strip. check panhard rod bolts. wheel lugs too.

fuerzaws6
Old 03-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Teching In

last I checked they were at 30 psi. . . .I'll have to re-check!
Old 03-25-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my car does the same thing, if its cold out i lose traction, and float
also it feels like the rear follows the shape of the road, if that makes sense. lol
Old 03-25-2007, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

that sounds like a serious problem. Check your driveshaft, yoke, and those little half moons holding it together. THats what it felt like on a road trip right before my Yoke snapped.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Never experienced that with BFG DR's. Not even close.

I've thrown those things through some hard hard corners with the same recklessness as Z-rated rubber. They hold corners pretty well. Not optimal, but pretty damn well.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is very stable at speed with my 315 BFG Drag's. I do alot of spirited driving too! Something sounds funny, it should change lanes like a vette meaning there should be no feeling of losing traction. I'd check everything out.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've also seen this in vehicles with LCA relocation brackets with the LCAs set in the lowest holes...They tend to float a bit at high speeds...Do you have relo brackets?

--Alan
Old 03-26-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABA383
I've also seen this in vehicles with LCA relocation brackets with the LCAs set in the lowest holes...They tend to float a bit at high speeds...Do you have relo brackets?

--Alan
if the car is lowered 1'', what hole should be used on the relo brackets?
Old 03-26-2007, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

Mine are in the middle (second) holes, but I'm not lowered...I'll check with a local suspension shop owner who sets them up all the time and get his take on it...I run 15x10 Bogarts with 275 50 R15 M/T radials and its very stable...

--Alan
Old 03-26-2007, 08:22 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL at some of you guys...

Now the first thing you want to do, is double check tire pressure. As posted above, you want to be around 30-32 psi on the street.

A drag radial has a much softer sidewall than a regular radial. Especially a low profile 18" radial.

The BFGs have a softer sidewall than say the comparable Nitto. They are however stickier. They also don't last quite as long... The Mickey Thompsons have even more traction, but they have even softer sidewalls. (Can't speak for their new version of the DR.)

Again, there's a VERY noticeable difference in sidewall stiffness. At 80MPH on the highway you're going to notice it. The rear of the car is going to have more sway/float to it than normal.

That's the nature of drag radials. They've got a softer sidewall, and yield better traction. You lose cornering and stability in the process though. Obviously noticed much more at high speeds....

He has a Z06 guys. No relocation brackets for him...
Old 03-26-2007, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

...oops, my bad just noticed his sig....As far as stability goes I've seen and felt a major difference in how my car handles with the relo brackets in the bottom hole on my set up...Obviously this does not help the guy with the Corvette... 1000 apologies...

--Alan
Old 03-30-2007, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

I had a bad experience while driving on worn bfg drag radials in the
rain my car spun out and I know what you mean about not handling.
I keep mine in the garage now and would only use them for drag racing.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 355sonoma
Today during a little spirited driving I did a lane change at about 80 mph, not real abrupt but just a regular lane change. . . . . the rear end of the car felt llike it just started floating, I mean it was pretty scary! Is this just the nature of the BFG Drag radials? or is there something wrong with my rear suspension? Before putting on the drag radials I could change a lane in the same manner and the car would feel like it was glued to the road. I do need the traction of a drag radial but I don't like that feeling at all. Does anyone have any experience with this?
how new are your dr's? when i was driving on the way back home from getting them installed i experienced "the floating rear end" during lane change, but after i did a good burnout in them im able to take 35mph twistys over 60mph.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this happened to me as well with my new mickey thompson drags (315/35/17) They were SCARYYYY as hell on the road at higher speeds especially when you accelerate hard and then let off like at 100 it feels like the front end is all over the place....Anyways yea it hasd gotten ALOT better as they wore alittle bit and now its fine at speed and while turning the car pretty hard. No sweat just wait and they will feel alot better as you drive on them, just be careful in the rain no matter what ...lol

Quick Reply: BFG Drag Radial Unstable at speed! Help!