Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My oil smells like gas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My oil smells like gas?

Yesterday i emptied the extra oil in my catch can and noticed that it smelled like gass, so i decided to change the oil because it was due anyway. The oil reaked like gass and had a cloudy brown color to it, and kinda gritty. But it was 3000 miles old. My other reason for changing is i started to develop a ticking noise about a month ago once the car warmed up. This tick is not verry loud and kinda faint so im thinking it is an exhaust leak so in the next couple weeks im getting new headers and having td's built. Hopefully the noise goes away. So today i check my oil level and it smells like gass again. And the oil in my catch can is cloudy dirty brown color and smells like gass. Finally i have done the mods in my sig and im still untunned so could it be that this is happning because in not tunned? Do you think i spun a bearing, i have had no oil pressure loss? Or possibly an exhaust leak? Or could it be a seal or ring that went bad and is leaking gass into my oil? Thanks
Old 03-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Could be a leaky injector. Solve the problem now. Don't continue to drive it, or you'll wash out the rings. 'gritty oil' sounds like the wear has already started. Gas dilutes the oil / washes it off the cylinder walls, rings wear, and soon you'll have a real oil burner. Then it's new engine / rebuild time.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, if you didn't get a tune after the headers and cam, then you could be running really rich. This would make your oil get that overly "gassy" smell. Get a tune!
Old 03-25-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

What are your Long term fuel trims or what is your AFR measured with a wideband?
Old 03-25-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car was untuned for about a week. I drove it for probably an hour within the week with H/C/I I changed the plugs about once a day and iw as running it to just make sure everything was ok mechanically. When I broke the plugs loose to pull them it smelled like a phillips 66 gas station
Old 03-25-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been driving it daily for a few months now with no tune. What are the chances that i already washed it and the rings unseated? Also what about faulty seals on the heads themselves causing this. A tune is kinda pricy and dont have the money now, i was planning on new heads, cam, lifters, oil pump, timming chain, injectors, fuel pump and a tune in november. Could i use one of those crane tunners to get me by until then? What are my other options besides not driving it? Also what are my chances that i spun a bearing already? thansk
Old 03-25-2007, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Long Beach
Also what about faulty seals on the heads themselves causing this. Also what are my chances that i spun a bearing already? thansk
Worn valve seals will cause it to burn oil. Does it use oil?

Where did the spun bearing theory come from?

Just as an additional thought, the ticking could be a faulty injector. Take a wooden spoon, dowel, ruler, etc., and put one end on the injector and the other on your ear. A faulty injector will sound different from the rest.

Final comment: it's cheaper to fix it and tune it now, than replace/rebuilt it later.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

True, im just trying to make sure i dont have a spun bearing because if i do i will have to rebuild anyway. I will check the injectors to make sure, change the oil again and bite the bullet and get a tune.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would hate to spend 500 for a tune and the damage is already done (bearing, rings washed, etc...) and have to tear the engine apart anyway. Someone local has a hand held crane vinci tunner would that work?
Old 03-25-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AutomagicLS1
My car was untuned for about a week. I drove it for probably an hour within the week with H/C/I I changed the plugs about once a day and iw as running it to just make sure everything was ok mechanically. When I broke the plugs loose to pull them it smelled like a phillips 66 gas station
Are you running larger injectors?
Old 03-25-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would say valves or just running rich.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No stock injectors, its not burning or using oil. It runs great except for the smell i would not know anything was wrong. It started to make a faint ticking noice but not verry noticable. I hate to get it tunned and still have to pull the heads to put new rings on. I was planning on putting some afr heads, new cam and lifters anyway but not until arround thanksgiving. So now i have to spend 500 and have to do it again in november. Is there any way to check the rings without pulling the heads?
Old 03-25-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Is there any way to check the rings without pulling the heads?
You cant check rings by pulling the heads anyway, to check rings you have to pull the motor and disassemble it.

You can check the condition of the rings by doing a leak down test. If you dont know what a leak down test is do a google search on "leak dowen test" and you will find out.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

I'd suggest that you buy the software and do the the tuning yourself, there are plenty of people here to help you with any questions you might have, and that way you won't have to keep paying to have the thing re-tuned and you can get the driveability perfect even if you decide to step up the cam significantly
AJ
Old 03-25-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was thinking about dooing that, i have a laptop computer but dont i have to buy wideband 02 sensors and accesories to tune with? I might have to try the leak down test search, hopefully i can buy a kit or something to check. Thanks again guys for all your imput.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If i buy the tune software is there a way to tell if the rings are bad based off the software #'s?
Old 03-25-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

If i buy the tune software is there a way to tell if the rings are bad based off the software #'s?
LOL, no. The only way to know for sure if rings are going bad is to do a leak down test or pull the engine and disassemble it.

A leak down test kit can be borrowed or bopught for fairly cheap and is so damn easy to do. If you feel your rings may be bad just do a leak down check and be done with it, you will know for sure if your rings are leaking that way.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok thanks, i think im going to buy some tunning software and tune it first and if im still getting fuel in my oil i will know its the rings and do the leak down test. Thanks
Old 03-26-2007, 03:44 AM
On The Tree

I can see a rebuild in your future. Be careful if you drive it, don't rev high at all. If you can smell gas in the oil then you can easily spin a rod bearing. Get it tuned asap and do the leak down test. Hope it turns out ok.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Just get the car tuned. Problem solved....I HIGHLY doubt it is running rich enough to wash the cylinders. As has been metioned perform a leakdown test just to calm the nerves, your chances are pretty low that you have actual damage caused by running a little rich.

Quick Reply: My oil smells like gas?