Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ten bolts are great... Please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ten bolts are great... Please help

The car is basically a dd, with occasional trips to the 1/4. and I get on it every now and again. it's a M6 and the specifics are in my sig. I am hearing a "whomping" noise, sounds simular to a flat spot on a tire (which the back two are new) even when i'm pulling out of the parking lot I can hear it a little. The sound get worse at 35 mph and above. I have a mild vibration at 65 mph. I can feel it in the seat, and the wheel shakes a little two. ALSO there is wear on the pass side wheel well. Like the tire is hitting It's wearing away the under coating in one spot. Thanks for the help/
Old 03-25-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Regular

Try changing the fluid.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

It has 40,000 miles you think that would help? That would be great if that's all it is/
Old 03-25-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

could it be the drive shaft?
Old 03-25-2007, 11:43 PM
Teching In

how new are the tires did they just recently get put on, out of balance tires will cause a "shimmey" at that speed. jack her up and take a good look at everything, hopefully its nothing big, is performance affected at all or is just noise and slight feel?
Old 03-26-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by trans-am nut
It has 40,000 miles you think that would help? That would be great if that's all it is/

It's worth a shot, it's probably one of the cheapest things you could do besides turn up the radio.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:44 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

The car is basically a dd, with occasional trips to the 1/4. and I get on it every now and again. it's a M6 and the specifics are in my sig. I am hearing a "whomping" noise, sounds simular to a flat spot on a tire (which the back two are new) even when i'm pulling out of the parking lot I can hear it a little. The sound get worse at 35 mph and above. I have a mild vibration at 65 mph. I can feel it in the seat, and the wheel shakes a little two. ALSO there is wear on the pass side wheel well. Like the tire is hitting It's wearing away the under coating in one spot. Thanks for the help/
I'd jack it up and spin the rear tires. It sounds to me that you may have a bent axle. Bob
Old 03-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by B's 95 Z28 A4
how new are the tires did they just recently get put on, out of balance tires will cause a "shimmey" at that speed. jack her up and take a good look at everything, hopefully its nothing big, is performance affected at all or is just noise and slight feel?
The right rear rim was slightly bent, so I bought a new one from the dealership, the tires on the back are less than a week old, still have the new rubber smell, lol. performance doesn't seem to be affected, just noise and a vib. I noticed yesterday that when I acelerate around a right hand turn that the sound gets a little louder.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

I have also got it up to the speed at which it shakes at which is 65, and put it in neutral, and nothing changes
Old 03-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

I am going to take a look at everything soon, what should I look for? If it is a bent axle what will I have look for? and what else should I check out? thaks for the help, I appraciate it. Hey Bob, I started saving yesterday, lol, might be giving you a call ( in a year or two, when I have some funds, lol)
Old 04-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

I put the new axle in the pass side, w/ a new berring and axle seal, no changes, the axle had scratches on the coned part of the old axle. Could it be the driver side axle, maybe bad shocks? or output shaft on the trans?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

Also there were chips of the magnet in the fluid. what is that about. never heard of that, any help
Old 04-12-2007, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm having the same problem, although I didn't find any metallish looking pieces under the cover.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

let me know if you figure anything out with yours.
can ANYONE chime in on this to help encourage a solution?
Old 04-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by candlelit
let me know if you figure anything out with yours.
can ANYONE chime in on this to help encourage a solution?
I am being told that it could be the carrier bearings or the driver side axle, I will through another axle bearing in but if it's anything else. I will continue to save for a rear. If you have the funds buy the 9 in.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did this start after the new tires? If so it could be a out of round tire. Even know it is new it happens all the time. I would jack her up and put her on jack stands and put it into gear and with the help of a second hand look and listen.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default pitted axel

I'll bet dollars to dounuts you have a pitted axel or axels.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am being told that it could be the carrier bearings or the driver side axle, I will through another axle bearing in but if it's anything else. I will continue to save for a rear. If you have the funds buy the 9 in.
sounds quite interesting. I recently started to think that it just might be something to do with the axles (since it only does it at a certain speed range). I'd love to buy the 9" so I can do a wheelie, but ya know how the fund savings go...
Originally Posted by 2 fast 2000
Did this start after the new tires? If so it could be a out of round tire. Even know it is new it happens all the time. I would jack her up and put her on jack stands and put it into gear and with the help of a second hand look and listen.
once my last 10 bolt broke and we installed this one, it was fine with no sounds. then, we were running 11" wheels with Sumitomo 315s. it wasn't til a week or so after I installed my 10.5" wheels with Nitto 315 DRs (little bit wider than those Sumi's) that the noise started to happen. I can also feel a slight vibration/rough feeling going around curves. I did jack the car up and went through a couple of gears, but outside the car you can't hear anything since the exhaust is so LOUD. in the cabin, though, you can hear the noise.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

I jacked the car up, put it into second, and you could see the wheel on the driverside going up and down, (slightly) you could also hear a noise coming from that side as well. Could both axles be bad, and if they are is it worth replacing? I mean I have already replaced the pass. side. could it be something else that is tearing up the axles?
Old 04-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Also the rear end feels lose at about 65 to 90 like a strong gust of wind is blowing it around every so often, I checked the shocks and they appear to be ok.