Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 LS1 into a 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 LS1 into a 69 Camaro

I've searched for an hour now and I can't seem to find a list of what I need to take from the donor car I'm pulling my drivetrain from tonight. It's a 2002 SS Camaro with a 6 speed.

So far I know I need:

The engine (obviously )
The accessories (alternatoor, p/s, a/c, etc)
The transmission
The clutch slave cylinder
The clutch master cylinder (do I need any of the pedal stuff?)
The electronic gas pedal (the pedal too or just the sensor or ??)
The computer and the harness (how much of the harness?)

?????? What did I miss ????????

Thanks, Lance
Old 03-26-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have all the car for the picking i would take everything you can get. sorry i cant be more help, but i would take as many whole parts as possable.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

- For the wiring harness, you'll want at least the entire engine harness, possibly the underhood fuseblock (I've never seen one, I had to make on since mine didn't come with one), and as many of the connectors from other harnesses that plug into that harness. Mine came with the interior connectors and a couple of feet of wire from the dash harness (the part that connects to the engine harness). If you can't get them, that's fine too--you can cut off the old connectors and wither put new ones on, order the right connectors, or splice it.

- Exhaust manifolds, unless you plan to run headers

- Cruise control module. If you don't want cruise, sell it to me.

- Front seats - 4th gen seats are a popular swap on the 1st gens

- The LS1 Fbodies didn't have a drive-by-wire throttle pedal--get the throttle cable, although not sure if it's long enough to adapter. Mine didn't come with a throttle cable, I had to buy the Lokar cable.

- 4th gen front and rear brakes are a popular swap now, but not sure which parts you might need.

- IAT sensor (often forgotten in the airbox)

- cooling fans - if you want to save a few bucks, the 4th gen LS1 fan assembly can be trimmed down to fit pretty nicely over a 1st gen radiator

- PS pressure hose. If you get lines made locally, you may need to supply the old fittings (LS1 on one pump end, old flare one on box end) to the shop to crimp on to new hose.

- ODB2 connector and a few inches of wire with it

- You don't need the old clutch master and slave--you'll want to replace them with brand new ones, likely as part of ATS' T56 Kit (slave, modified master, bracket, crossmember).

- I've heard of people adapting the 4th gen brake master and booster

Thats all I can think of...
Old 03-27-2007, 06:20 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks Rodder !

I have one more day of picking the car (Saturday). So I need to make myself a list

I'm running headers so the exhaust manifolds aren't needed.

Cruise control module - Where's it located I'll grab it and figure out if I'll use it later. If not you have dibs.

Front seats are busted but not ripped so I'll grab those too and the rears also. Black leather

Your right it has a cable for the throttle. got it

I'm definately taking the brakes on Saturday. All of them. Should I bother with the rear end or is it not worth my time?

IAT sensor - That's the one inside the round tubular duct between the airbox and the throttle body? If it is I have that too.

Cooling fans - I got those and the radiator too.

PS pressure hose - got it.

OBD2 connector - saw it and will get it Saturday.

The brake master and booster - I'll grab that on Saturday also.

The front brakes? Do I want anything from it except the rotors, backing plate, caliper and caliper mounting bracket? Do I want the spindles?

The center console - Has anyone made one of those work in a 69? I currently have a 69 RS/SS that this is all going into and it has the center gauge console but with the shifter moving rearward so far it makes me think the stock 69 console isn't going to work.

Thanks, Lance
Old 03-27-2007, 07:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

69 console won't work the new one will with modification. You can also hook the e-brake up also to work. Rodder has good site for info on the swap check it out sometime. Only thing I can add is try and get all the bolts you can. They're expensive. I don't believe you will need the spindles. Good luck John
Old 03-27-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

I've heard of people using the 68/69 console and sliding it back to the new shifter location. I've also seen a lot of people using the 4th gen console. I have no console right now, and thinking about running a 4th gen one. I hate foot-operated parking brakes!

I think you only use the calipers and maybe the rotors from the 4th gen, but I'm not 100% sure. Shouldn't need the spindles. If I remember right, the 4th gen brake swap uses 1st gen drum spindles and hubs, with some machining on the hubs. On the rears, I'm not sure if you might need two right-side brackets (to reposition the left caliper to clear the shock)--I know 2nd gen and Seville to 1st gen rear disc swap requires that.

The cruise control module is somewhere under the hood . It has one throttle cable coming out of it that goes to the throttle body. If the car has traction control, I think there is a second box that has a cable running to the throttlebody, except that box would have a second cable running to the gas pedal.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

i would just get theengine, and trans, , slave, you can use a 1st gen pedal setup , and you will have to buy a lokar gas pedal and lokar throttle cable, the accessories i would junk and go with chrome or polished street & Perfoirmance, the factory brackets just look tacky, and i woudl not use the harness, get a s&p harness or one from injection technology , heres how mine turned out
Attached Thumbnails 2002 LS1 into a 69 Camaro-picture-006.jpg  
Old 03-27-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

too much bling for me... And gotta love the S&P Hot Air Intake!
Old 03-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Launching!

Get the clutch Master & Slave, Tyler at ATS can modify yours to work. Also, get the O2 sensors from the exhaust. And why not use the factory accesories and wire harness (modified by Speartech) Don't forget the Mass Air Sensor.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

I have the clutch slave cylinder. The block and trans have never been separated. Unfortunately the person that pulled the engine just cut the hoses..... oh well I'll get the clutch master on Saturday. I also checked the casting number on the block and it's the LS6 block. The O2 sensors aren't needed if I run headers and no cats right? Don't you just delete them from the computer program when you redo it? Got the mass air flow sensor already

The 69 this is all going into already has disc brakes in the front. So these will just be an upgrade.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:54 PM
Launching!

You can delete the rear O2's (there are 4 on a 4th gen car) but you will need 2. Most headers you buy for an LS1 will have O2 bungs welded in.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rybar
You can delete the rear O2's (there are 4 on a 4th gen car) but you will need 2. Most headers you buy for an LS1 will have O2 bungs welded in.

OK thanks I'll grab those too

Quick Reply: 2002 LS1 into a 69 Camaro