Sponsored by:

Another fox body LS1 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Another fox body LS1 conversion

Hey guys,
I've been reading about these swaps for a couple months now. I have a decent turbo fox now, but I'm to the point where I'm going spend some cash to get the 302 reliable past the 500 hp mark. Just as you guys I'd assume to spend that money on an LS1.

I'm running a proturbo kit on a windsor based 302. I'm hoping I'll be able to change out the header flanges to the LS1 flanges and not have to modify the rest of the headers. I realize I'll end up modifing the cross over pipe and the intake tube. I suppose I will find out when it comes time to mock everything up.

The kit has PT64E turbo and I'm afraid it's going to be alittle small for the LS1's extra inches.

Fuel injection shouldn't be a problem, I'll have the BS3 swapped over to coil on plugs for the LS1 and integrate the 4l60E into the box.

Thanks for the research you've guys have already done... My current project and future mods can be seen at
www.turbojunk.com

zboss86
Old 03-27-2007, 02:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kick *** ...man nice car and glad to see you movin to the dark errr i mean good side
Old 03-27-2007, 12:55 PM
9 Second Club

very nice, but why a 4l60e??? too many guys break those tranny's even after they've spent $3000 to build them up.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

very nice, but why a 4l60e??? too many guys break those tranny's even after they've spent $3000 to build them up.
You have a good point. Going through Tranny's is more depressing than blowing head gaskets...

My reasoning behind the 4l60E:
- I was going to get a engine/tranny combination "cheaper"
- I know it will be compatible with my BS3 Box

I'm currently researching the 4L80E's compability with John Meany's BS3 Box, and the physical/electrical differences of the 4L80E.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

just my $.02 you are not going to break a built 4l60e with 500 hp.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

A properly built 4L60e will not break with 500hp, period. I know guys running mid 10s on 150 shot with them in heavy *** Camaros. Should be fine in your car, properly built of course.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Right, wrong, cool, uncool, i just can't believe you guys do this. I mean, you're going to catch hell from both the LS1 guys ("Why put such a great motor in such a shitty body?") and the Fox Body guys ("Why not have put a real motor in there?!"). You'll have no where to go without getting it.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:22 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TroubledWine3
A properly built 4L60e will not break with 500hp, period. I know guys running mid 10s on 150 shot with them in heavy *** Camaros. Should be fine in your car, properly built of course.

he never said he was only looking at making 500hp, he just wants a block capable of handling more than that unlike the typical 5.0 block. who builds a turbo ls1 and only makes 500hp when you can come very close to that with a good head/cam/intake pkg.?

Sharpe....Right, wrong, cool, uncool, i just can't believe you guys do this. I mean, you're going to catch hell from both the LS1 guys ("Why put such a great motor in such a shitty body?") and the Fox Body guys ("Why not have put a real motor in there?!"). You'll have no where to go without getting it.
most of the ls1 guys i've talked to LOVE the idea of an ls1 in a killer fox body, expecially a trunk model. that's why there's quite a few doing it and plenty more thinking about it. and besides, my car, my choice right?
Old 03-27-2007, 06:27 PM
9 Second Club

oh, and as far as the bs3.....if you've already got it and want to keep it and can modify it to work with the ls1 (not familiar with it), that's cool.

if not, why not run a stock pcm with something like efi live? a freind of mine has a twin turbo ls1 with twin 62-1's with 96lb injectors and making 850rwhp on pump gas only! just an option if you're familiar enough with programming that could save some dough.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS1 powered foxbody?? whos stupid enough to do that!

as far as the 4l60e goes, i was gonna do a 6speed in my swap but decided to start off with the 4l60e and see how many i can blow up lol.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Default Transmission

oh, and as far as the bs3.....if you've already got it and want to keep it and can modify it to work with the ls1 (not familiar with it), that's cool.

if not, why not run a stock pcm with something like efi live? a freind of mine has a twin turbo ls1 with twin 62-1's with 96lb injectors and making 850rwhp on pump gas only! just an option if you're familiar enough with programming that could save some dough.
I've been runnng the BS3 platform for a couple of years now, and I'm really comfortable with it. I can have it modified to fit the LSX and Transmission.

he never said he was only looking at making 500hp, he just wants a block capable of handling more than that unlike the typical 5.0 block. who builds a turbo ls1 and only makes 500hp when you can come very close to that with a good head/cam/intake pkg.?
After doing some researching I think I'll be going the 4L80E route. I'm not sure how much power I want to put to the ground ultimately.

My train of thought is:
-I'm going to need a converter either way
-4L80E should only be 20lbs heavier and it's in the center of the car
-There is only an approx. 15hp loss can be made up easily with the turbo
-I'm going to have to have a custom x-member and driveshaft anyway.
-BS3 is compatible with the 4L80E

I'm going to talk to my boyz at TCI and see what can be worked out...

Right, wrong, cool, uncool, i just can't believe you guys do this. I mean, you're going to catch hell from both the LS1 guys ("Why put such a great motor in such a shitty body?") and the Fox Body guys ("Why not have put a real motor in there?!"). You'll have no where to go without getting it.
Ultimately in a few years, I'll have my 68 camaro rolling chassis completed. And by then I'll have a solid drive train ready to slide over.

Quick Reply: Another fox body LS1 conversion