General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My Anti-K&N Rant

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 12:27 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Anti-K&N Rant

I dislike K&N filters.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest2.htm
http://mymiata.paladinmicro.com/K&NComments.htm
http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothr...&postid=195593
http://www.fuelinjection.net/kne/kne_test.htm
http://www.roadkill.com/~davet/moto/air.filters.html
http://www.bolhuijo.com/airflowtest/

and the most CONCLUSIVE/REPUTABLE test I have seen...
http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

I use ACDelco in my WS6 and you will never find me using ANYTHING but a regular paper filter. The rest is just a gimmick.

FYI I dynoed my 5.0 with and without the filter. 4whp increase w/o filter (on a carbed motor with 12x3" circular enclosure, on and then off).

4whp from paper vs. nothing...K&N wont do **** in the power dept. Period. I do know it doesnt filter worth crap though. Above links show that well enough.

I just really hate them. I think it is one of the most successful snake-oil products in the automotive world today.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

geez...
Old 03-27-2007, 12:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
geez...

I am important! I have a personal disciple!!! He follows me everywhere
Old 03-27-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
I am important! I have a personal disciple!!! He follows me everywhere
so is it like a mini version of you with the OCD on your right shoulder and the regular non OCD medicated version on the left telling you to post?
Old 03-27-2007, 12:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
so is it like a mini version of you with the OCD on your right shoulder and the regular non OCD medicated version on the left telling you to post?
I was referring to you. The person who responds first to ALL my past posts in the last month...
Old 03-27-2007, 12:37 AM
TECH Veteran

I was referring to you. The person who responds first to ALL my past posts in the last month...
i thought you meant like a personal voice(es) that follow you

i had just came on to see the pacesetter topic i made and saw another rant.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:40 AM
12 Second Club

Where do you buy AC Delco air filters??? i thought they just known for spark plugs!!!
Old 03-27-2007, 12:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1fastz
Where do you buy AC Delco air filters??? i thought they just known for spark plugs!!!
oil filters, air filters, and plugs.

and also alot of OEM parts.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1fastz
I bought mine at bumper to bumper.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:54 AM
Tech Resident

i'm a paper filter guy, too. i see no point to running a K&N. i know they don't filter as well, so is it really worth the 0.5-1 hp? nah. i'm running a napa gold filter, so i assume it's a WIX filter as their napa gold oil filters are WIX. it does the job just dandy. the one in there before was a purolator.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Addict

I work at a parts store and people dont just buy K&N filters b/c of the "HP increase", on ALOT of newer cars air filters are gettin pretty expensive, such as on alot of fords newer trucks their like 60 for the paper filters, now if they buy a K&N one they wont have to spend another 60 on it a year or so down the road they can just clean it. It adds up.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
I work at a parts store and people dont just buy K&N filters b/c of the "HP increase", on ALOT of newer cars air filters are gettin pretty expensive, such as on alot of fords newer trucks their like 60 for the paper filters, now if they buy a K&N one they wont have to spend another 60 on it a year or so down the road they can just clean it. It adds up.
Yeah, figure a motor re-build a wee sooner and that adds up too...Paper FTW!
Old 03-27-2007, 01:03 AM
NKAWTG...N

Back when I had a lid I ran a K&N. I never had problems with it. Cleaned it, oiled it up, stuck it back in there. Can't re-use paper filters.

And obviously a car will gain hp when you take the filter out, there is no information in that statement. I have never compared hp gains from paper vs k&n, but I am sure the differences are marginal at best.

It comes down to personal preferance.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Back when I had a lid I ran a K&N. I never had problems with it. Cleaned it, oiled it up, stuck it back in there. Can't re-use paper filters.

And obviously a car will gain hp when you take the filter out, there is no information in that statement. I have never compared hp gains from paper vs k&n, but I am sure the differences are marginal at best.

It comes down to personal preferance.
Yeah, a whopping 4whp...so difference from filter to filter? yeah...nada
Old 03-27-2007, 01:05 AM
NKAWTG...N

Yeah, figure a motor re-build a wee sooner and that adds up too...Paper FTW!
How does running a K&N lead to a motor needing a rebuild? I am interested to hear...the worst I have heard is people overoiling the filter and it screws with the maf. Easy fix.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:06 AM
NKAWTG...N

Yeah, a whopping 4whp...so difference from filter to filter? yeah...nada
I am sure most people, who search the topic, don't buy the K&N for performance (thats what the aftermarket lid is for) but rather buy it since it is re-usable. I know thats why I enjoyed having mine.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:19 AM
Banned

I am sure most people, who search the topic, don't buy the K&N for performance (thats what the aftermarket lid is for) but rather buy it since it is re-usable. I know thats why I enjoyed having mine.
And how is it cheaper? Hrmmm???

Clean it every 50K miles....$10 for that kit. Add that to the $60 the filter costs and you get $70.

Paper costs $10 per filter roughly. 7 Filters for the price of your K&N and a cleaning kit...

If you change your paper filter every 20,000 miles (most manufacturers recommend around 30K) you will go 140K miles on your $70.

The K&N will go 200K miles on that $70...to match the K&N's 200K mile performance you would need to spend $30 more. Big deal. You buy synthetic oil, dont you? You buy good oil-filters and not the crap Fram, dont you? Why cheap out on the air filter. It isnt much of a price difference anyways.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

And for whatever its worth, Paper filters are not always cheaper....
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...for=Air+Filter
So you save 20 bux AND it will last alot longer, and im with Stoleit on this, if K&N filters were that bad and caused engines to blow they would be out of business and have SEVERAL lawsuits, but they seem to be doing pretty well. I can understand everyone has their opinions but you make it sound like if you buy a K&N filter its going to blow your car up, I along with A HUGE number of people on here have run them for years and years for tens of thousands of miles with no issues. And its easy to clean and you dont need to through out 10-15 bux on a new filter
Old 03-27-2007, 01:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
And for whatever its worth, Paper filters are not always cheaper....
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...for=Air+Filter
So you save 20 bux AND it will last alot longer, and im with Stoleit on this, if K&N filters were that bad and caused engines to blow they would be out of business and have SEVERAL lawsuits, but they seem to be doing pretty well. I can understand everyone has their opinions but you make it sound like if you buy a K&N filter its going to blow your car up
GER transmissions are still in business and I see plenty of Turbonator and electric supercharger adds still...

I guess you guys run Fram filters and wal-mart brand oil as well, huh? I mean...they are still mainstream and in business. Nothing wrong with them I guess
Old 03-27-2007, 01:52 AM
Tech Resident

How does running a K&N lead to a motor needing a rebuild? I am interested to hear...the worst I have heard is people overoiling the filter and it screws with the maf. Easy fix.
a K&N filter obviously won't destroy your motor, but it does shorten its lifespan. if your motor dies at 150,000 miles running a K&N, it maybe could have gone to 155,000 miles. sure, it probably will have little to no effect, but no one can argue that the dirt it lets by when compared to an AC Delco filter will lower its lifespan, even if it's only marginally. personally, the lower lifespan isn't worth the almost 0 hp IMO. it's simply causing unnecessary wear with no benefit.