Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for an L92/6L80E or LQ9/4L80E donor vehicle but no luck

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Looking for an L92/6L80E or LQ9/4L80E donor vehicle but no luck

I'm trying to build an AWD Chevy S-10 and I would like to use an L92 and 6L80E if at all possible but a LQ9/4L80E would do nicely as well. I think the best way for me to go would be with a whole, but wrecked, vehicle. I figure there have got to be plenty of people that manage to get a big, high performance vehicle into trouble. I've been looking alot online to find a good way to get salvage cars and insurance buybacks but I haven't found anything like what I'm looking for. Do you guys have any tips? FWIW, the L92 has only come in Escalades, Yukons and Sierras.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by white_fly
FWIW, the L92 has only come in Escalades, Yukons and Sierras.
And only for the '07 model year. Which means you're looking for a fairly small needle in a good sized haystack.

An LQ9 / 80E combo will be hard to find also, since I don't believe the LQ9 was ever offered with an 80E behind it. All of the LQ9 applications have been in 1/2 ton's (Escalades, Yukons, Denalis, Silverado SSs, etc) and (to the best of my knowledge) have only been backed by 60E (and their derivatives, the 65E & 70E).

LQ4's are available with 80E's behind them in 3/4 ton's and are basically the same as the LQ9 with slightly different pistons (dished vs LQ9's flattops) and lower hp ratings (325 vs 345) and higher octane gas requirements (87 vs LQ9's premium requirement).

Good luck finding any of the pullouts you're looking for. You will have better success finding a LQ9 and 4L80E seperately and reprogramming the PCM to run the 80E (its not difficult) and doing the minor harness rework. Or pick up a good LQ4, add L92 heads and L76 intake, cam, stroker crank, etc and probably still spend less money than finding a L92 takeout.

Check out Car-part.com. Its a salvage yard search engine. Suprise suprise, I didn't see any L92's available. But there were some LQ9's and a bunch of LQ4's. And quite a few 4L80e's too.

'JustDreamin'

Last edited by 'JustDreamin'; 03-28-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Teching In

I know it'll be tough to find. I guess that's why I'm asking for help. I was under the impression that at least the Silverado SS came with the 4L80E, but I could be wrong. The small drop in horsepower to the LQ4 is no biggie and the lower compression is actually a plus. This might call for a change of plans, but that's exactly why I came here! Even still, car-parts is for parts and I think I'd be better off with a whole vehicle so I don't end up spending hundreds of dollars on stupid little hard-to-find things.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

You are definitely on track concerning the little stupid things they are killing me and my swap isn't a huge deal.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

I was under the impression that at least the Silverado SS came with the 4L80E, but I could be wrong.
As far as I'm aware, the Silverado SS came with the 4L65E. And those guys start making more power (typically from boost) and start breaking transmissions.

The difference between the harness on a 60E and 80E is pretty minor. 4 wires are changed. 2 wires that aren't used on the 80E in the big grey connector need to be used for the Input Shaft Speed sensor, and the PCM end will need to be moved. And two other wires / pins in the big grey connector need to move (pins move around in the connector) so that the Torque Convertor Clutch will lock up. It's not all that hard, and the trans will run without the ISS sensor (mine doesn't have one connected currently, but will soon).

If you're going to be putting this in an AWD S10, you'll probably need the corvette accessories. Its really tight up front. Check out my Cardomain site, and see what I mean. Granted, my radiator is still in the stock position (not moved into the core support because it did fit). The front diff means you can't put the engine down as far as you would in a 2wd, which means you can't put it as far back either.

Good luck!

'JustDreamin'
Old 03-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Whoa! I missed the sig completely. Having essentially done the swap I'll likely end up doing, would you do it again? What would you have done differently? Have you ever gone to the drag strip? If so what was your 60ft time? I think I was reading about a supercharged SS and it had a 4L80E and they didn't mention anything about a swap so I must've assumed from that SS's came with 80's. It makes sense they'd be breaking 65's. The harness mods don't scare me. In fact, I was ready to just about swap out the whole electrical system from a 2.2 powered S-10 before I learned how easy (well, relative to some swaps) it is with the V6 electronics.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Teching In

And I forgot to mention, JustDreamin, your swap looks fantastic. I've heard people say a swap looks factory, but yours is only an airbox away from REALLY looking factory. Awesome work.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Launching!

The 4L80E wasn't available with a LQ9. It is easy to convert though. Be sure to get the flywheel and, if possible, the crankshaft spacer when you get the trans to save some money. I installed this combo in my trans am.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

Whoa! I missed the sig completely. Having essentially done the swap I'll likely end up doing, would you do it again? What would you have done differently? Have you ever gone to the drag strip? If so what was your 60ft time? I think I was reading about a supercharged SS and it had a 4L80E and they didn't mention anything about a swap so I must've assumed from that SS's came with 80's. It makes sense they'd be breaking 65's. The harness mods don't scare me. In fact, I was ready to just about swap out the whole electrical system from a 2.2 powered S-10 before I learned how easy (well, relative to some swaps) it is with the V6 electronics.

Hey Boss....

Yes, I'd do it again. The truck is SO much better with the V8.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably buy instead of building the oilpan (nothing existed at the time). I'd also like to have had some more prep time (the demise of the stock 4L60E really pushed the schedule up, meaning I wasn't as prepared as I would have liked).

The truck runs & drives (and drives well) but isn't finished as yet.
A couple of big things. The trans cooler isn't big enough. I've got all the parts to make it a bunch bigger, but haven't got to it yet (it's just getting warm again and I'm a wimp). The front diff isn't in the truck, I pulled it to remove the oilpan for a leaking fitting (where I welded an AN fitting into the pan rail I had a pinhole and it dribbled oil). Diff didn't go back in because if felt like there was 3 dozen marbles in it (with the gears). Also, I haven't got a front driveshaft made, as of yet. Local shop quoted me $700 for it. I near about fell out of my chair when the guy told me. I obviously need to shop around some.

So, because of no 4wd and a trans cooler that's too small, it hasn't got beat on hard as of yet (lay into it and it axle-hops something fierce)

And I forgot to mention, JustDreamin, your swap looks fantastic. I've heard people say a swap looks factory, but yours is only an airbox away from REALLY looking factory. Awesome work.
Thanks again. I do need to do something about the air filter. It really needs to be boxed in so that it gets cold air. That was just quick and dirty.

There are a few other things. Like the Power Steering reservoir sits at a goof angle (isn't "straight up" in either direction, its canted both left and right and front to back, I'm going to fab a replacement). And I need to clean up the fuel lines, maybe add a set of modified 'Vette fuel rail covers. I think they'd look really cool if they said "Bravada" in a stylish script, like the Syclones and Typhoons.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

'JustDreamin'
Old 03-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JustDreamin
Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.
Be careful what you wish for....

Well, I look forward to seeing the truck finished off and see what you can do with it. I don't know if you'd care or you already know, but apparently the ZQ8 suspension package available on the S-10 came with a third rear damper that helps the truck launch without modding the suspension too much. Cal-tracs also have a very good reputation for good launches without too much work.

Where are you located? I'd consider helping you out with putting the front diff back in just to get a good look at the swap.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

Be careful what you wish for....

Well, I look forward to seeing the truck finished off and see what you can do with it. I don't know if you'd care or you already know, but apparently the ZQ8 suspension package available on the S-10 came with a third rear damper that helps the truck launch without modding the suspension too much. Cal-tracs also have a very good reputation for good launches without too much work.

Where are you located? I'd consider helping you out with putting the front diff back in just to get a good look at the swap.
No worries about the questions....

I'm actually planning on swapping to the 8.5" 10-bolt, since I want to swap gear ratios anyway. And I'll probably do something with the rear suspension. Maybe a set of coilovers or air bags.....

I'm in the Baltimore, Md area. A short 1,075 mile drive north.....So, I'm guessing I won't be seeing you. But you never know. Getting the front diff out was a royal pain. GM makes them pretty hard to work on. And I need to get a front diff that doesn't feel like its got marbles in it (preferably with the ratio I want). I understand from a few sources that setting up a GM 7.25" IFS front diff is something to be avoided. And heck, I can buy a junkyard fresh one for what a set of new gears cost (or less). Just need to get to it.

'JustDreamin'
Old 03-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Teching In

I was talking about this on another forum and somebody suggested going with a 9.25" if I was going to go to the effort of swapping diffs because it has lots of gears available for it as well as locking setups. Not to mention all the headroom you should ever need.

I may be up north one day for long enough to see your truck if you don't mind. As you say, you never know. As to our earlier conversation about the LQ9, check this out http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/pts/300531402.html
Old 03-29-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

I saw one l92 with 6l80e on ebay, think it went arround 8000ish, 6.0 much less expensive, i've seen a lot of l92 heads ,rockers, intakes at good prices in the for sale section!!
"just dreaming" did you check into the gilbert prop shaft Blake sells for the 80e swap in the syty? think it's only $440, THANKS
Old 03-29-2007, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

I was talking about this on another forum and somebody suggested going with a 9.25" if I was going to go to the effort of swapping diffs because it has lots of gears available for it as well as locking setups. Not to mention all the headroom you should ever need.

I may be up north one day for long enough to see your truck if you don't mind. As you say, you never know. As to our earlier conversation about the LQ9, check this out http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/pts/300531402.html
If you're looking at going to a bigger IFS unit (front diff) I'm not sure I'd try that. There isn't a whole lot of room in the front end of an S10 to start with, and trying to put a significantly bigger front pumpkin in would not be high on my list of things to do.

I think the ZR2 package may have used a bigger (like an 8.5" or so) IFS diff, but I don't know where to substantiate that thought.

The 7.25" front diff has some gears available (3.08, 3.42, 3.73, 4.10, and I think 4.56's). Sadly, the gearset I'd like to use is not available (3.23's), so I'm going to go to 3.08's.

Like I said before, I don't think the LQ9 was ever avaible from the factory with an 80E. It might have been, but I haven't seen any factory literature to support that. Funny thing is, you can actually get the 4L80E behind a 4.3L V6 in 3/4 ton vans, it was (and may still be) the base engine option. Talk about underpowered and overworked. Imagine taking that powerhouse 190hp V6 and trying to drag around a 5000+ lb work truck with 2500lbs worth of tools and equipment (like most electricians or mech contractors do). Talk about slow.....0 to 60 in under 30 seconds, but only if you drop it down a mine shaft.

'JustDreamin'
Old 03-29-2007, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sparkwirez06
I saw one l92 with 6l80e on ebay, think it went arround 8000ish, 6.0 much less expensive, i've seen a lot of l92 heads ,rockers, intakes at good prices in the for sale section!!
One of the reasons I wanted to go with a whole donor vehicle was so that I could sell parts to recoup at least part of the undoubtedly high price I would be paying for even a wrecked vehicle with a good L92/6L80E.

I can understand not wanting to go too big on the front. As I said, just a suggestion somebody gave to me. That the 4L80E is available with the V6 is mind boggling. Sometimes you wonder why GM is losing so much money. Other times...not so much.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

That the 4L80E is available with the V6 is mind boggling. Sometimes you wonder why GM is losing so much money.
I think its good that in a 3/4 ton truck they put a decent trans in. (It also means there's a reasonably cheap high stall factory converter available) The 4L60E that was in my Bravada (S10 Blazer) blew up the rear planetary behind that stock V6. That they put the same transmission behind 400+ hp engines (in 'vettes, camaros, GTO's, TrailblazerSSs, etc) ought to be criminal. Seems like a hanging offense to me....

In a similar vein is the fact that all 4th gen F-bodies were equipped with the 7.625" 10-bolt rear axle. 275hp (1993) to 325hp V8's making a fair bit of torque, with manual transmissions, and they use that? What makes it even funnier is that the S10 with the (stunning 190 hp) V6 and 5 speed manual got upgraded from the 7.625" 10-bolt found in most every S10 to the 8.5" 10-bolt found in most 1/2 ton pickups & SUV's. So, why the heck couldn't The General (GM) figure out a way to put the 8.5" 10 bolt into the camaro. It's not like it doesn't fit (9" Fords and 12-bolts fit). They're just idiots sometimes. There's no other plausible explanation.

'JustDreamin'
Old 03-29-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sparkwirez06
"justdreamin" did you check into the gilbert prop shaft Blake sells for the 80e swap in the syty? think it's only $440, THANKS
I haven't done much about the front driveshaft. Haven't spoken with George on that topic. Talked to him about a bunch of other stuff (like a coilover setup using the factory a-arms) though.

The problem I run into is the tcase doesn't have a flange type output shaft. There's actually a female splined shaft in the tcase, which takes a corresponding male yoke (in the factory application).

I have the male yoke (in fact an entire 2500 front driveshaft), and I'd use it, but I'm not sure if I need a CV joint in the front shaft or not. Basically, I need to put the front diff back in, check my angles, and see if I can use a "normal" driveshaft, or whether I need a CV joint at the tcase, which will run the price up a bit.

So, I've got some homework to do before I'm ready to buy a driveshaft. But I'm going to keep George in mind when I get around to ordering one.

'JustDreamin'
Old 03-29-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

I may be up north one day for long enough to see your truck if you don't mind. As you say, you never know.
If you're ever up this way, let me know. I'll certainly let you look / touch / feel / wrench on / listen to / etc the truck as much as you'd like.

'JustDreamin'
Old 03-30-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Regular

The gilbert shaft has the just uses a regular yoke in front with a cv joint in back, sorry i forgot you went with the later transfer case.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:28 PM
Banned

'JustDreamin' do you know if turbo time makes motor mounts for a 4.2 to 6.0 swap for trail blazer

Last edited by jsconiers; 03-30-2007 at 06:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for an L92/6L80E or LQ9/4L80E donor vehicle but no luck