Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas tank for an A body?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gas tank for an A body?

I read everyone seems to be using the gas tank from a 95ish impala, because it's a rear fill, and about the right size... There aren't any impalas in any junkyards around here, so I was searching for other rear fill EFI capable tanks, and I remembered that the late 80s early 90s TPI Camaro's were rear fill... Anyone ever look into using one of those tanks? Any ideas for something other than an impala tank, or a fuel cell?
Old 03-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Do you want to use a tank with the pump inside? If not I sumped the tank on my 72 chevelle and the return line is routed to send fuel right back into the sump area. I also modified the tank slightly prior to welding on the sump to help keep fuel in the sump kind of like a poor mans surge tank. It worked great when I had the 502 in the car with the EFI. I am working on finishing the wiring on the 6.0L now and it should be back on the road in the next couple of weeks.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RacnJsn95
I remembered that the late 80s early 90s TPI Camaro's were rear fill...
Thirdgen F-bodies 82-92 arent rear fill. The filler door is on the driver side.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Tooslo5, I am curious as to why you are switching from a 502 to an LS engine. I am debating the installation of either a 502 or an LS variant and cant make up my mind. JB
Old 03-28-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Impala tank

I am using a 95 Impala tank, I use a Racetronic pump and harness (walbro 255 and a standalone harness)

It will fill, but i small trim of the frame rails (1/8-1/4") and either modify or build new straps. Sender will work, still 90ohms. You can either use QD for the fuel line, hard Line to AN or braze some AN fitting on the sender lines. I used a 99 Corvette filter/regulator.

You can see in my sig the setup I used.

If you can't find a Impala, you can check for Buick or other GM B body, they are the same.

If you need more info.. PM me.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Launching!

JB

Had the 502/TH400 in the car since 93' and tought it was time for a change. This year the car will only be running a small cam and will be tuned. Next year the package will reamain as is but with the addition of a couple of turbos. I am shooting for 500 rwhp or so with the stock internals.The following year it gets new pistons, rods, etc along with some L92 heads and 650rwhp +. I looked at the possible addition of a turbo, EFI and an OD trans with the 502 but went the LS route instead. It seemed to make more sense to me but some people will dissagree. I have had a couple of T Types in the past and love the power and torque of a turbo(s). When I put the 502 in the car my attitude was a Chevelle HAS to have a big block. As I got older my idea of a cool street car seems to have changed a little just like my taste in beer! Dont get me wrong, a loud, pissed off big block with a carb is awsome but my tastes have changed with time. I like the idea now of some stealth and being able to sneak up on someone!
Old 03-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've debated the various used tanks for previous projects, and went with the Rick's stainless tank every time. It's $$$ but it bolts up in five minutes, has all the internal baffles and sumps, and you get that nice stainless look from the back of the car.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Spike-Z
Thirdgen F-bodies 82-92 arent rear fill. The filler door is on the driver side.
You're right! Crap, I could have sworn my 88 had the gas filler behind the lisence plate. There goes that idea...

I kinda wanted an intank pump. I didn't really want to trust an inline pump, and I assumed sumping, baffling and stuff to the original tank would be too difficult, although I don't really know what is involved. I should do a search on that...

Is there anything wrong with aluminum tanks? I could always make an aluminum one at work... idk...

Quick Reply: Gas tank for an A body?