Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Pontiac Dealers

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pontiac Dealers

Anyone notice how Pontiac Dealers want you to Trade in your F-body to them for something else. Especially if you Bought your car from them(like me I got the card in the mail about info on a GTO right after the bird was paid off). I think I figured out their Game.

1. They know by now your Bird is paid off(its been 5 years since they we last made)
2. They no there is a Market still for people wanting F-bodies
3. They can say a GTO is better car
4. Not alot of people are buying GTO's
5. Pontiac doesnt really have any other sports cars
6. They want you to trade in your bird for nothing so they can sell for a high price to a buyer saying they will never make the T/A again.

and

If the G8 fails the same will happen to people who own LS1/LS2 GTO's

Think its true or am I Nuts?
Old 03-29-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer has a car and the last thing they want to do is have the car sit there.

Fore example - They have a 04' GTO on the lot, it is 07' now and the car has been sitting there for three years now, and it has depreciated. Not only is the car loosing value but it is also taking up space on their lot, anoyher car that has potential of selling. They are there to make money, and with the older car on the lot it is taking money from them.

It is no secret that they will give you rock bottom dollar if you bring in your car for a trade and than turn around and resale it for $5k more than what you traded it for, but the new people buying it don't know that.

First TA I looked at they had listed at 16k, I went in thinking 14k and I would jump on it. It looked great but the interior looked lika cat and dog went at eachother in it. For me to bite they had to drop down to 11k for it to offset the destroyed interior for me, and even than I would be hesitant. With 10 min of talking to them about the price of it, they instantly dropped from 16k to 13.5k, day later they called me saying it was mine for 13k, when I told them I had another to look at than I would decide they went to 12.5k. I got my current one for 14k and it was everything I wanted, went back there told them I was buying the other that day and they went to 12k. Asked how much they got the car for and after I showed up with mine and they knew I wouldn't buy it regardless the salesman told me they got it for 9k. Talk about some profit.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I see your point, But do think they can make money off of birds more than just trying to sell GTO's. I just think they are trying to lure bird owners in saying trade in the "old" car for a "new" GTO, (which gets the goat sold and off the lot) and they have a Bird to turn around and sell to someone like you when u were in the market to make more $
Old 03-29-2007, 04:42 PM
On the tree

Yeah my local dealer did the same thing to me. Called me and told me they were really short of cars on the used lot, would give me top dollar for my Formula and give me a great price on a new car. I was ok, I will bite for a minute.

I told them the info on my car. 2001 Formula with at the time maybe 60,000 miles and paint, interior, and mechanicals in perfect shape. They offered me $8000. I laughed and the sales guy was like what? I said KBB and NADA both list the car for $15,000+, I know that they are going for $15,000+ on the lots. You expect me to bend over and give you a freebie.

Then I asked about the best price on a GTO because they said they would cut me a deal on a new car. They said $33,000 for the new GTO (2006 M6). I said where is the deal, they were like "well we are not charging you the market price on it."

I told him, you cant charge me market price. I am a GM dependant and get it for invoice anyways which was $26,000. I walked out and told the GM to lose my info and not to ever call me or mail anything again and that if I wanted a car I would come see them.

It is a joke, nothing more than a marketing gimmick.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I fully agree. Last time I went to the Pontiac stealership to get some parts they tried to get me to buy a GTO and they wouldnt leave me alone.

I did test drive it and powershift with the sales guy in the car
Old 03-29-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I get letters from autonation every once and a while for my WS6 saying Trade it in for a GTO or this or that, Im like yea do I look stupid.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

It's called "prospecting"...
Better the salesperson/Dealer contact you to see "what's up" than sit in an empty showroom telling jokes to each other...
If you're NOT contacted by anyone, kinda makes you wonder (instead) whether they really value you and/or your business...which most, in fact, DO...at least the "good ones" will...
If you scratch a salesmen, they bleed, too...and they have a job to do, just like us...
Old 03-30-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea powerpro is right, my dad bought a brand new GMC Z71 last year and man that salesman was a really cool guy, he helped out my dad alot. 6weeks later when my little brother totaled it, he was calling us to see if everyone was ok and was helping deal with GEICO (read theiving bastards) and getting full value, they wanted to give us 8,000 less than what we bought it for because it was used. But yet at the time no banks or anyone who appraised cars and trucks had a value on a 2007 GMC Z71, so where did Geico get that number? ok sorry im still pissed that they tried to screw over my dad
Old 04-02-2007, 06:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rawr256
First TA I looked at they had listed at 16k, I went in thinking 14k and I would jump on it. It looked great but the interior looked lika cat and dog went at eachother in it. For me to bite they had to drop down to 11k for it to offset the destroyed interior for me, and even than I would be hesitant. With 10 min of talking to them about the price of it, they instantly dropped from 16k to 13.5k, day later they called me saying it was mine for 13k, when I told them I had another to look at than I would decide they went to 12.5k. I got my current one for 14k and it was everything I wanted, went back there told them I was buying the other that day and they went to 12k. Asked how much they got the car for and after I showed up with mine and they knew I wouldn't buy it regardless the salesman told me they got it for 9k. Talk about some profit.
In late July I traded in a 2004 Grand Prix GT2 (non supercharged) for a down payment on my 2001 t/a.
I paid 30,000 Canadian for it and they gave me 10,000 trade in after 1/2 an hour of them haggling.
The t/a was great looking, but I over looked the cracked door pannels... my bad. Total on the T/A was $19,500 Canadian.

Signed papers and drove it home the next day happy as hell.

A few weeks later I was flipping through the Edmonton Sun (news paper from the city that I bought the car from) and there is my Grand Prix selling for $19,999!

10,000 dollar markup.
I understand that they're in the market to make money.. but wholly crappatties Batman!

Sure makes me wonder what this T/A was traded in at.
I guess it would explain why they've have a '02 Collectors edition WS6 on their lot for over a year.
They want 34,000 for it.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, dealers don't make that much money on new cars, because of the rebates and the fact that the prices are available to anyone with access to the Internet. Used cars, however, are a different story. They can charge what they want because there is no clear retail price. KBB is a joke, they never go that low to begin with. As noted above, they try to make thousands of dollars on used cars, and folk who can only afford a used car end up paying the dealer all the markup dollars.

Quick Reply: Pontiac Dealers