Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Security light on again?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Security light on again?!?!

Hey guys,
I have been having a lot of problems with my security light going on and then I am not able to start the car. Its been on going for awhile now. I had an Autopage alarm installed and the installer swears that the resistor he put on the cylinder is the correct one. I brought it into the dealership and they say its the aftermarket alarm. The light comes on randomly when i try to start the car ( this morning it came on 4 times in a row and I had to take another car to work).
My question is is there any way I can bypass this stock security feature or is there something wrong with my setup???
Thanks for all your help
Peter
Old 03-30-2007, 07:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

I'd be a little concerned about your aftermarket alarm installer. If he says he installed a resistor to match, then the VATS system is bypassed - that's the only reason to add a resistor. Otherwise the system reads the resistor pellet in your ignition key.

It's not unusual for the system to malfunction because of simple things like grime on the key resistor pellet. Try using a pencil eraser and then some rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts on the key (or try your spare key). Also, grime can affect the contacts inside the ignition cylinder. A little contact cleaner spray (Radio Shack) and a pipe cleaner will usually take care of that problem. All this is pointless if there has been another resistor installed in the system. But that is usually only done for remote starters - it's just not necessary for an alarm system.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well the resistor was added i believe for the remote start part of the alarm system. Sorry I forgot to mention that earlier.
I have cleaned the contacts on my key, tried the spare. The dealership agreed to look at it again and said this time the security light came on because the fuel pump did not turn on quick enough and took longer than the second time span allowed?? But they said everything checked out fine.
So I hope everything is fine now. It has worked fine for the past 3 days. Does anyone know if it is possible to start the car though if that light comes on again. The guy at the dealership suggested to try and jump start the car? But I was not sure if that would be safe.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has nothing to do wwith the power. white is right. there is a resistant chip on the key and the has to be bypassed on the VATS system. take that **** back on throw the key at them and make them fix it(thats if you can get your car started). or do it your self. take a meter and put it on ohm and measure the ohm level on the key. then find a resistor that matches that level. you may have to use 2 or 3 to get the correct level. replace it with the one you find that they did under the ignition harness. should be in a yellow jacketed tube. have fun hunting.