Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oil Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Pressure Gauge

Whats up guys? I was just wondering whats the easiest way to hook up an external gauge to check my pressure? I'm having an oil pressure issue and want to eliminate the gauge as the problem. My gauge vibrates petty bad only at idle at about 25-30psi. Any other rpm the pressure is great. I've checked the search but no real definitive answers. Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-30-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Oil Pressure Tap

Look above your oil filter at the plate (GM calls this the oil pan cover) on the pan with the two bolts. This is in the main feed from the filter, and also where the factory (and LPE) oil cooler is fed from and will show engine oil pressure after the filter process.

On many truck pans (especially prior to '03), this plate has an undrilled/untapped boss that is cast into it. If you order a new one via GMPD, chances are, it will come without the boss, so just get one of your buddies to let you swap out the one from his truck.

You can remove the plate and drill/tap to 1/8" npt for your oil pressure guage fitting. I would use a 90* fitting for clearance.

If your guage has a plastic line, make sure it doesn't touch your exhaust.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go online and get a oil filter adapter pressure guage kit.

I do recall that you need to be careful that the kit has the fitting for the LSx motor. I recall mine is a K&L or somesuch.

Unscrew the oil filter and hook up the guage and adapter and you will have the pressure at the filter.

Perry